Fly Tying
tcustomflies

Recommend a Book on Coldwater fish species

Greetings from Texas,

I hope everyone is doing ok. If your a deer hunter, hears to a great Deer hunting season for you. I am seeing a lot of Does coming in to the feeder, A few young Bucks are showing up to.

I plan on doing a lot of fly tying during the winter months. I am hoping someone can recommend a fantastic book on the subject of cold water trout species. I want to learn as much as I can about these great little Big fish. I was a bass fisherman for years then while recuperating from some major operations over the past decade I became interested in fly fishing and fly tying. I have already learned a lot, but the more i learn the more i want to learn.

Thanks for your help and I pray that your lines may always be tight.

Not as much information as provided by the Behnke book - it is probably the best overall answer to your question - but an absolutely beautiful book about most of the different species of trout is Trout, by James Prosek. Gorgeous water color paintings of this remarkable fish. The second edition has more species than the first.

I would go with Art Flick "Streamside Guide" or Mike Valla "Tying Catskill Style Dry Flies", but there are many other great ones.

Gary La Fontaine caddis flies talk about the fly patterns and how they became to be and how to fish the plus he talk about the different stages of the fly life cycle. 

But if you just want a good book to read 

TROUT BUM 

I can crosley relate to the stories and people and places and some of the same life encounters good read