Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Addiction to fly boxes

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 08:57 PM

Check out www.dorber.com.

They have some nice boxes of the Wheatley type and the foam type at pretty good prices. Of course any price is good compared to the Wheatleys. At any rate, I have bought a couple of the Dorber boxes and found them to be pretty good. They have some pretty good prices on rods too.

Dave

#17 SDHflyfisher

SDHflyfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 09:41 PM

C&F boxes are nice but a little too rich for my blood got a threader for a present and it makes a great midge box i think i will be getting more though even if they are expensive

my nymph box is starting to fall apart so i have an excuse now
Hansen Custom Fly Rods

http://sdhflyfisher.tripod.com/

#18 Crotalus

Crotalus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:01 AM

I bought a Clif Days Worth last year and really like it. This year i am hoping that Santa brings me a Clif Big Cliff.

I have also looked at Okuma boxes on several occasions, almost had them to the checkout a couple times then back out. Does anyone have an opinion on them, whether they are good or bad?

I like the C&F also but as others have said they are a bit rich for my blood, same with the Wheatlys

Joe

Please visit Predator Fly Outfitters.

8794809351_2a357d8e23.jpg
Predator Fly Outfitters

#19 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,762 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 01:38 PM

Are you talking about the metal Okuma boxes? if so I had one of the ones that had the pop up windows on one side and the streamer clips on the other and liked it alot, it was a good box for the price. I believe airhead has it now so it should be be in use and working well.

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#20 Crotalus

Crotalus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 02:56 PM

Thats the one SD, sorta like a poor mans Wheatley

Joe

Please visit Predator Fly Outfitters.

8794809351_2a357d8e23.jpg
Predator Fly Outfitters

#21 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,762 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 03:05 PM

Yeah then thats not a bad box at all for the price of them. The clips are pretty strong and the little window boxes are decent size and pretty deep so they hold a good amount of flies. Only real drawback is if you carry a couple of them the metal boxes are a bit heavy but the Okumas are no heavier than any other metal boxes. There a good box.

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#22 conehead

conehead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 01:29 PM

I use a six compartment Okuma box for midges.

The six window boxes are marked (by me) 28,26,24,22,20,18. I have all types of midge drys in each compartment. I can open the #22 lid a and pick a color close to the hatch.

The lid is foam and I attached the white magnetic sheets that come with the hooks. I have a ton (not literal) of emergers and non hackled midges stuck to the magnets. this system works great.

I also use the C&F boxes, with the micro slits, the foam should never wear out. Also they have a very small attachmet bracket on each box. Tie a 24 inch peice of 8 lb. mono to the box and saftey pin it to your vest pocket or chest pack.

If you don't some day you will see it float down stream faster than you can wade.

That's a fact, I have been the recieptant of two boxes packed with flies in my life time. Thanks whoever you are.

Conehead
"If they only made coneheads in size 28"
7,793,638 fly patterns out there; face it, I'm gonna be late for work.

#23 wayne SW/MO

wayne SW/MO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 12:43 AM

I've ended up with three C&F's. I really like the fact that I can change fly foam on two of them. I plan on buying some extras so I can change from Smallies to Trout, or vice versa.
Taney County, Missouri

#24 ridderbos3

ridderbos3

"Sorry boss I seem to have anal glaucoma. I just cant see my ass going to work today"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 12:58 AM

I have to add to this post. I recently expanded my fly box addiction. I added a blue system x for my bluegill flies, a green system x for carp flies, a big cliff for terrestrials, and a bugger barn for all my smallie and trout streamers.

This is where it gets tricky. For the past 5 years I have owned a boat, motor and trailer that I could not use. The trailer fell apart. The mounts that held the frame to the part that held the boat were made of rubber and had rotted away. I searched for someway to fix these mounts for 5 years, all the while going without a boat and having to wade the shore for my gill and bass fishing. I had a float tube for a while but did not care for fishing in it.

Well friday I finally found the mount. The old mount had a part number on it and the name of the manufacturer. You have to understand, this prt is probably 40 years old. It is an old old elgin trailer. Anyway, the company that made it is still in business. I called them and they were able to set me up with the new part number. They are on their way to me as we speak.

Now, I made all these fly box purchases last week and the week before not knowing that this season I would have a boat to use instead of wading. So I am wondering , since I will wear one of those inflatable life jackets, and do not want a fly vest or chest pack in the boat, what to do. I dont necessarily want my fly boxes flopping around in the boat.

Should I look into one of those ocean fly boxes for all my warmwater flies? Such as this one? http://www.cabelas.c...requestid=57013

That option still leaves me up in the air for what to do with my tippet, spare spools etc.
Maybe a tackle bag, like bass fishers use? Hell maybe a regular tackle box or something?

How about it boat fisherman? What do you use?

ps I am going to repost most of this in a seperate thread labeled boat fisherman

john

#25 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,762 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 01:03 AM

Dont know if you saw it last fall when we were at camp John but I used a waterproof duffle bag to carry my boxes and stuff when I had my Hyde.
The one I have is made by Sage.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#26 Bamboo

Bamboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 08:07 AM

Truly is an an addiction! laugh.gif

I'll second the duffle bag. Makes it a lot easier to switch between the vest and boat - and you know that's coming eventually.

Bamboo
"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

#27 cornmuse

cornmuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE (ridderbos3 @ Mar 30 2005, 12:58 AM)
So I am wondering , since I will wear one of those inflatable life jackets, and do not want a fly vest or chest pack in the boat, what to do. I dont necessarily want my fly boxes flopping around in the boat.

Should I look into one of those ocean fly boxes for all my warmwater flies? Such as this one?

john

Go to Bass Pro and get one of the soft tackle bags for $25. I've been using one for five seasons as my boat bag and its a great investment. Excellent value.

Joe C.
"Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit,
and resign yourself to the influences of each."
- Henry David Thoreau

Visit Fly Fish Ohio for great fly fishing and fly tying articles, the "Adventures in Fly Tying" monthly video podcast and the "Adventures in Fly Fishing" monthly audio podcast. The Midwest isn't a place you fly over to get to good fishing - it's right here in our own backyards.

Think globally - fish locally.

#28 hexfli

hexfli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:37 AM

I second cornmuse's idea, I also like a big backpack to put all my boxes in. I use alot of plano type boxes to store my flies in at home, then pack up my smaller boxes that I will carry with me when I get ready for a trip. The plano boxes allow you to see what you have without opening the boxes and they are pretty inexpensive too. Works well for me.
-Love'em and Leave'em

-Whip it and Strip it-

Eli

Trophy Flies for Trophy Fish @ GreatLakesFly.com

SMALLIE-FEST 2010-May 21/22/23 2010-Huron County Michigan-BE THERE

"A little luck never hurt any fisherman..." ~Sig Hanson