Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

First Atlantic in 27 Years!

8 replies to this topic

#1 despatiesim

despatiesim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:53 PM

Last week on a trip to the Bonaventure, I caught my first Atlantic Salmon in 27 years! Actually, I started fishing for Atlantics at the age of 16, then stopped because it made no sense for a kid my age spending all his summer working money on fishing. I just started back up last year fishing the Bonnie for a week, but  came up skunked. Went back this year and Bam! A nice 11 to 12 pounder! And to boot, it was on a size 6 Blue Charm I tied 27 years ago when I was 16! I landed another 10-11 pounder not too long afterwards, making my trip! Beautiful fish that put up a great fight. Was a sweet moment. Sorry, pics aren't great. Was alone and was trying to keep the fish in the water as much as possible.

Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160710_232533.jpg
  • IMG_0620.jpg

#2 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:24 AM

Truly a staple on the table as far as the Victorian Era was concerced.That type of fishing gave birth to some amazing Tyers and patters in 16-20th centuries.

Gorgeous fish on a go-to classic!Congratulations,Sir!
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret
Once a Marine,Always a Marine-Semper Fidelis

#3 Adam Saarinen

Adam Saarinen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 02:52 AM

Congratulations! Nice story about the old fly too! What is the landing net? Would it be the Fishpond titanium?

#4 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,470 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:23 AM

Very nice fish.  

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#5 despatiesim

despatiesim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:31 PM

Actually its a Fishpond Nomad mid-length. Big enough for a mid sized Salmon or Steelhead, not too long. Its so light, I have it off a fishpond retractor on my slingpack. Half way through the week (no fish yet), I started feeling silly with this thing hanging off my back ( no one else was doing this). But I was real happy being able to net these guys and reduce the fatigue when they finally decided to play. It considerably cut down my landing time and is well worth the expense. IMHO.
Cheers!

Congratulations! Nice story about the old fly too! What is the landing net? Would it be the Fishpond titanium?

#6 salarfishing

salarfishing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:18 AM

Great catch despatiesim!

#7 despatiesim

despatiesim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:24 PM

Thanks Guys! I 'm totally stoked to go back next year. Unless I do a saltwater trip...

#8 Decisions

Decisions

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:24 PM

Awesome despatiesim!

especially about the fly you tied when youi were in your teens to catch that Atlantic.

Good on ya!

My passion is my wife and then my fishing. Sometimes she thinks it is the other way around.

Living in Southern Ontario, close to Rice Lake.

#9 Frank G. Swarner III

Frank G. Swarner III

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 07:00 AM

Congratulations and nice little story too!!

Not all fisherman are liars.........there's just alot of liars who fish.

Reply to this topic