Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fly3r

rod holder

Not truck accessories, but I have made pvc rod holders and carts for the kayak and the canoe.

I use pvc pipe as a push pole when in the shallows.

The only advice is to watch for the pipe with the right wall thickness for the project. Some can be kind of flimsy.

1. The rod holder pictured is easily manufactured. You can see all the parts in the photo. A can of PVC primer and cement (can be bought together in a package)

2. WAY back, when I used to do some surf fishing (conventional gear), I used U-brackets to secure PVC tubes to a 2x6. Both ends of the 2x6 had a 2x2 post that fit into the front stake pockets, right behind the cab. Took up much less room that the contraption above.

(Been so long since I had a truck, I don't even know if they still put stake pockets in there)

PVC pipe degrades with UV exposure. A coat of paint will prolong its outdoor life considerably.

first, if I thought I would need 12 rods I would stay home. If my fishing partner felt I need to bring 6 rods I would make him stay home. If I had a pick up truck I would probably need something like that. My only tip would be to make one for less rods and angle them down so they are not pointing straight up.working with pvc is pretty straight forward.

9ft rod + height of the truck bed 3ft = tips of rods 12ft up.

Wouldn't work around here. Too many over angling trees on the main road, on the road leading to good fishing spots there would be no way.

Unless you take apart your rod but at that point might as well put them in a case.

Just a thought.

If I were to build something like this I'd go with how Mikechell said.

Have only made them for the kayak. The only "advice" I can give is that in order to accommodate a fully rigged rod, you need some sort of slot. This is a berkley rod holder zip tied to a milk crate. Modifications had to be made...

post-52832-0-43177300-1506030033_thumb.jpgpost-52832-0-59038000-1506030521_thumb.jpg

That one in the truck appears to bungy corded in and looks like he can load and unload it rods and all in one trip.

I haven't made a diy holder yet but my wife bought one for me off of Amazon. It attaches to the garage door. The company that makes it is Cobra Storage. It works really well. 81oaQygfeDL._SL1500_.jpg

I haven't made a diy holder yet but my wife bought one for me off of Amazon. It attaches to the garage door. The company that makes it is Cobra Storage. It works really well. 81oaQygfeDL._SL1500_.jpg

Now that is a cool idea for wasted garage door wall space.