Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
GPflyboy

First Fly Tied

It looks like your hackle was just a little short (in length of feather,) but otherwise, you did well. Once you strip off the fluff, you want enough feather to wrap 5 to 7 times down the shank, starting or ending with 2 turns at the eye. Usually 5 to 7 inches is enough to provide hackle for most hooks. Try to keep the head wraps back off the eye.

Your right most the hackle i got were about 4''-5'' long and i know i have to not wrap as much by eye of the hook ,lots to lean

It appears you followed directions perfectly. People always recommend you keep your first fly. In a few years, you can look back and see how much you've improved.

In this case ... I wouldn't recommend that. You're not going to get one that looks much better ... so go fish that one!

Oh, and welcome to the site!

Nice work! Just clean up that head a little and you're good to go. Those hackle fibers can clog the hook eye and make it difficult to tie on.

Very well done for a first fly. You paid good attention to proportions, and that's one of the hardest things to get right.

You can use a hackle guard made from a small rubber O ring to assist you with cleaning and finishing the head without the fuss of stray hackle fibers getting in the way. Very good start and for a first at that Kudos. Welcome to the site.

That looks great! Guessing, but I would say that well over 90% of tyers started with the same pattern. I know I did.