Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Flicted

US Source For Knotted Pheasant Tail (Single)

I have been looking for a source for knotted pheasant tails. There are many places that sell them knotted in groups for hoppers and larger nymphs. I am looking for single knotted tails like Davey McPhail often uses. I watched his video on how to tie my own and I have done a few. But it's a pain in the arse and I'd love to find some stateside. Has anyone found them?

I have this tool for knotting them. Of course you can't get it anymore. I have no idea how long they were sold, but it couldn't have been all that long. Look for tails that are 18 to 24 inches in length. Many of these will have fibers that are 2 to 2 1/2" in length. It's way easier to knot them if you have something to grab on to. You can do it with shorter fibers, but it's harder. A lady on eBay sells natural tails in small bunches this length quite often with the starting price around $7.99. Not all of them have the long fibers, but enough to tie a big bunch of legs and PTN's.

Regards,

Mark

In Nebraska, I can get Pheasant Tails no problem no cost. Im just too lazy to tie the knots. I will look at the videos you folks offered and maybe Ill like one of those methods. Thanks all.

Well. Look at you thinking outside the box again. Depending on how lazy I feel after looking over the videos tomorrow, I might try that. My idea was to put a Pheasant in a box and shake it violently until the feathers were knotted.

LOL, putting it the clothes dryer might be less of a workout. Actually throw all of the ingredients in and you might end up with completed flys in the lint trap.

Swamp

My idea was to put a Pheasant in a box and shake it violently until the feathers were knotted.

Well. Look at you thinking inside the box