Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

Stonfo Bobtec 1 squeeks . when I pull for more thread

I just bought a Stonfo Bobtec 1 bobbin, which I really like. The only problem is that when pressure is applied to the adjustment to tighten the spool bearings, it squeaks when I pull for more thread. I don't want to apply any oil to the spool bearings for fear of contaminating the thread.

Any ideas how to prevent this?

SpokaneDude

twist a tapered candle in the holes of the spool

vert fine coat of vaseline ob the bobbin holder spool burronts

rub a lead pencil (graphite) on the bobbin holder spool buttoms

Rub a finger on the side of your nose to remove the facial oil an apply it to the bobbin buttons

now you think of other ideas

Thanks for the wax suggestion; however, I found that it "greases" the connection between the spool bearings and the thread spool, thereby nullifying the effect of the pressure sleeve. However, the last two, pencil lead and facial oil have promise, and I'm going to try them next.

I would have replied sooner, but the forum was down for several hours.

SD

SD, it's been like that for a longggggg time. I have the same problem with my bobbin.

A bit of candle wax in the thread spool holes stops the noise for me .

A very long time ago, I seem to recall discs of thin teflon coated plastic that could be placed between the legs of the bobbin and the holes in tying thread spool to stop squeeking and to smooth the rotation of the thread spool when using the bobbin.

Do I wonder if masking off the spools of thread and spraying the spool ends with a dry teflon coating would do the same thing. Or spraying the bobbin legs that insert into the spool.

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Non-Stick-Dry-Film-Lubricant-Aerosol/dp/B003UTX0R8/ref=asc_df_B003UTX0R8/?

post-27478-0-22095400-1579914317_thumb.jpg