Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Saltybum

Big game hook preferance

I mostly fish lighter hooks for the smaller flats fish but hope to get a Cobia this spring on fly. After seeing the VMC pinheads that Portlyjoe posted recently got me thinking about the choices available. The Gama SC17 look pretty stout as well.

Currently I have a few cobia flies tied on Mustad c68 4/0 but have never put them to a test.

What do you experienced big game guys like and why?

Not being a salt water angler, I have to think back a few decades to when I DID fish salt. That was before circle hooks, and I know I missed some nice fish because of line stretch, fish movement and current drag. All those problems are somewhat overcome with the circle hook.

Thus, I would recommend tying up some flies on big circle hooks.

The SC17 are very stout and would hold up to a cobia just fine. I have used them and they are plenty strong. They're made for big tarpon so they would probably have no problems with a cobia either. I'm pretty sure a big C68 would be fine as well.

I use both the Owner Aki hook (aki is japanese for yellowfin tuna...) and the Tiemco 600sp these days. Years ago, before the advent of super premium hooks we'd use the old Mustad 3407ss. This was not a stainless hook at all the "SS" stood for double strength and it was done up on much heavier wire than a standard 3407. That hook is still available today I believe - but needs some serious sharpening before use. The Owner and the Tiemco come very sharp right out of the box. The only thing I do with them is flatten the barbs with a pair of needle nosed pliers before tying....

A word of caution about hooks for big fish -resist the impulse to go to much larger hook sizes. I rarely ever tie up anything on a hook larger than a 5/0, since the bigger the hook the harder it is to set with fly gear... I try to keep my hooks no larger than 1/0 for an 8wt, 2/0 for a 9wt, and on up. I'm trying to suit the "nail" to the size of my "hammer".

The SC17's are, in my opinion, a bit too heavy if you will be fishing in "shallow water". The owner 5107 and Aki hooks are ok in my book, but as Bob said, the 3407 is a really good hook.

As far as standard hooks go the 3407 is hard to beat - but most of my flies are done up on 34007 hooks (not quite as strong as the standard 3407 version -but much nicer if you intend to use the fly more than once since the 3407 will rust quickly.. once it's exposed to the salt....). I actually buy my 34007 hook by the 1000 per size from #6 all the way up to 3/0... For anyone that's never used the much stronger 3407SS it's a much heavier hook than the standard 3407.... I've actually used them at times when I wanted a given pattern to sink quicker....

It's interesting to read the responses here and compare to what others I know are saying from there experiences.

One friend was prepping for a trip to the keys to try for big tarpon, and we were discussing hooks. He said he has rolled the point (on big fish of course) with SC15s and SC17s. He was going to try some Akis, but he said his favorite was the 3407 after he had touched it up. Mimics what Capt. Bob was saying.

Most of the fish I target are a lot smaller, so I'm good with the SC15s and 17s. I even use the "Mosquito" hooks although I try to straighten the offset on those hooks. Think any of these are fine for big snook, reds and up-to medium sized tarpon. I like the bigger hook gap vs. the 3407s.

AP

The SC17's are a good hook. If you are into Gamakatsu look at the SL12's in 2/0 and 4/0. They are the same bend as the SC15 but have a heavier wire, stouter eye and are about 1 1/2 hook eyes longer. I had no problem with them on my last Cobia trip. Best one was a 50b on a 10wt. The 35lb to 40lb Jack Carvals had no problem with them either.

Salty:

I dont know if its sad that I was the cause of this discussion, so I apologize now. I tend to tie 1/0 to 3/0 max for my fly rod. I do prefer stainless steel( Mustad 34007 is my go to hook) because they dont rot out on me, but I will also use black nickle. I love the VMC ILS due to the in line eye, the sturdiness and because they have a wide gap. The problem is they are very hard to come by. most catalogues dont even list them. I dont have Cobia, or Red where I'm from, But I can tell you this: they will hold large bluefish and stripers with no problem.

I dont know if its sad that I was the cause of this discussion, so I apologize now.

Why are you apologizing? This is, so far, one of the most civil discussions going on.

With 200 views I'm sure many others have found some very useful information on here besides me.

My favorite grouper hooks are the VMC Nemesis. Very strong and stay sharp, so I sprang for some VMC 2/0 pinheads.

Will post some big game creations when I get some tied up.

Thanks for all the replies and info everyone.

I've never fished for Cobia, but would expect that any hook that can handle large Tarpon would be fine for Cobia.

Capt Bob mentioned the 3407ss, which is not the same hook as the 3407 as he said, so if you go that route be sure you're obtaining the correct version. IMO the VMC 9255 may also be a good hook although I can't say with 100% certainty. It's a stronger hook than the standard 3407 and sharper too.

The Eagle Claw 254 tinned version has not been mentioned, but should also be a good hook for Cobia. It too needs to be sharpened. The stainless version should also work in a larger size, but again as Capt Bob said, with an appropriate rod weight. Comparable stainless has a slightly larger wire diameter than it's equivalent size in the tinned.

The EC 354 would also work, but again is a heavier wire hook.

As far as standard hooks go the 3407 is hard to beat - but most of my flies are done up on 34007 hooks (not quite as strong as the standard 3407 version -but much nicer if you intend to use the fly more than once since the 3407 will rust quickly.. once it's exposed to the salt....). I actually buy my 34007 hook by the 1000 per size from #6 all the way up to 3/0... For anyone that's never used the much stronger 3407SS it's a much heavier hook than the standard 3407.... I've actually used them at times when I wanted a given pattern to sink quicker....

Capt have you ever used Mustad's Duratin finish that is meant for saltwater (340SS-DT and 3407-DT)?

A more frugal, stronger and sharper alternative to Stainless.