Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Some surf flies

Headed out for some surf fishing for steelhead, lake run browns, lakers, etc etc this weekend. Well haveing never tied a fly for surf fishing I set out in serch of info "surfing" (pun intended ;) ) the net today. After gathering some info and then reading the Surf fishing article by hexfli on TFF, I then made a trip down to the local fly shop and purchased some new materials for tying some surf flies.

Heres what I have come up with so far tonight as a variety of flies.

:dunno:

IPB Image

Steve those look just like striper flies - may have better luck searching saltwater patterns.

Now this "surf" you speak of - is this just the shore of the Great Lakes?

Yupp Sean, mainly the shorelines of the great lakes right in the areas of the river mouths.

From what I read about the best surf patterns, they are mainly saltwater striper flies that work the best for the Great Lakes surf fishing. So glad to hear they look like striper flies to you guys that fish the salt because that tells me I'm on track with them B)

If the water is clear one fly (material really) you may want to try is yak hair.

I find a yak fly with a super hair tail and a final over under wing of unique hair - the synths kind of corral the yak - is very productive in clear water since its nigh-invisible. Also works for me with browns and tiger trout in clear ponds.

Sound like salt water fishing without the salt I'm jealous salt sucks.

also keep in mind for future ties that trout/salmonids attack from the rear (Tube or long shank will put hook in rear) opposed to bass which come @ the fishes head (many striper ties are on short shanked hooks and most have a prominent eye as anglers feel it is a trigger/target)

just my 2Cents...

I am so f'in jealous.......

David

Steeldrifter - I was admiring the photos of your flies when I noticed the handle on your fly rod. That thing is outstanding!!! Did you make the handle yourself? I've made my own rods before, but never tried turning my own handles.

steelie those are beautifull flies what is the white body material and i really love the one with the silver back what is the silver material id love to make that as i think it would do really well for our pike over here

tight lines

mcfluffchucker

(a cave in scotland)

Very nice flies, the stripers would kill them on the flats around here. And I too have discovered yak it is incredible in the water. Is that EP that you used in those or angel hair?

Dave

letumgo- Thats my 8wt rod I just finished. The cork is exotic cork from Andy Dear of Lamar, and OSD turn the grip for me that I used on that rod build.

mcfluffchucker- the silver material is called Angel Hair

Gray Squirrel- both, the silver is angle hair and the white is EP

Well the fish gave me their approval yesterday. This Laker just totally crushed the chartruse&white fly on the far left in the pic B)

IPB Image

Nice fish bro!!! keep that mask on, it makes ya look better ;) and did ya get that nasty little stain outta that shirt? :lol:

Dustin.

My personal favorite surf fly would have to be the half and half. If you have chartruse grizzly hackle that works great for the tail. The Half and Half for the newbie’s is half clouser half deceiver the best of both worlds.

Steeldrifter...Very nice flies! I know some California Delta Striped Bass that would die to eat up one of those.

I'm curious about the body of water in your photo. No need to reveal your spot, but as a former Michigander what type of waters(river tributaries, lakes etc.) do you target these flies for?

Your photo...is it that cold already in Michigan???

Thanks.

SullyTM

Sully that is where a small river dumps into Lake Huron in the Oscoda/Tawas area. Yupp its that cold alright, we got up saterday morning to 1" of snow on the ground...sleet/snow.freezing rain, 25-30mph wind and air/water temps both in the low 30's :ph34r: