Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fletchfishes

Perspective

Took the day off today to go fishing and got skunked. New water so it shouldn't be such a disappointment, but I'm having a couple unproductive outings and it got to me.

Had to look this quote up to remind myself why I love this sport.

THE TESTAMENT OF A FISHERMAN

Robert Traver 1964, (Judge John Voelker 1903-93)

"I fish because I love to;

Because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly;

Because of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape;

Because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion;

Because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience;

Because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one dont want to waste the trip; because mercifully there are no telephones on trout waters;

Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness;

Because bourbon out of an old tin cup always tastes better out there;

Because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid;

And, finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant and not nearly so much fun."

Wow! Those are a couple of beautiful shots.

I go fishing because I love going fishing.

Catching a fish is just icing on the cake.

Part of fishing is not catching at times. Not catching is a way to build excitement. Think how thrilled your going to be with the next fish you catch.

I have a copy of that hung above my tying desk. It helps to keep things in perspective for sure, and as Mike said a fish is a bonus.

Les