Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Hackle Tips

This tip was provided by Lance(fishinlk), thanks bud wink.gif

Hackle tip for flies with “Down” style hair wings. E.g. Trudes, Stones, Sofa Pillow

Here’s a tip I thought I’d share. My first venture at high volume tying was on a batch of Royal Trudes. It seems that no matter what method I used to trim and tie off the calf tail wing when it came time to wind the hackle forward every time I’d get to the end of the wing material the wraps would begin to slide forward and result in either uneven hackle or fibers getting wrapped over each other making a mess of the head. I remedied this in what seemed to be a kind of unconventional way that works with any method of tying off the wing material. Tie in the hackle as you would ordinarily to wrap back to front. Make your first 2 wraps as normal then on the third wrap stretch the hackle forward to just behind the eye of the hook. Make a wrap at the front and then work your way toward the BACK to meet the rear wraps then work forward to the head and tie it off. This stops the sliding problems and surprisingly, does not result in any deformed hackle barbs. This works great for the heavy hackled flies down wing flies that have very bulky material.

Sign in to follow this