Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How much will you spend?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Poll: How much would you spend on a new reel?

How much would you spend on a new reel?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 nightfish

nightfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 08:40 AM

How much would you be willing to spend for some new gear? Since we have a broad group of flyfishers here, with interests from panfish to trout to salt, and users of both traditional and spey tactics, I'm wondering how deep you'll reach into the pockets?

#2 mozes

mozes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 09:17 AM

For my trout/panfish/bass I don't have any reels that are more than $20.00. I never had a problem with any fish that I catch on my 5wt, I can always palm the reel if I catch that monster blue gill devil.gif . For salmon and saltwater I have Redington RS2 9/10 reel that I paid $75.00 and I never had a problem with it yet. I would rather buy another 3 Whiting Grade 1 necks than catch 8" trout on a $300.00 reel.

David
www.vulcanzone.com

#3 fish

fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 10:01 AM

I agree mozes. Still, I bought a large arbor Islander for a trip to the tropics which cost me a pretty penny - it is my salmon reel now. It is a pleasure to use but I doubt I will buy a reel like that again. There are excellent reels for less than $100 now.

#4 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 10:42 AM

I think for many fishing situations a $100 or less reel is all you will ever need. But if you target species that make long sustained runs deep into your backing that budget reel is toast.

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#5 Sean Juan

Sean Juan

Local Boob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 10:54 AM

For freshwater I use an el cheapo reel that doesn't even have a drag...don't need one just palm it when the need arises which I must confess it very rarely does - most fish don't even get back on the reel. It holds the line and thats all.

My saltwater reel costs more than my first truck - its worth every penny and if it ever goes to Davey Jones's locker I'll buy a new one just like it.

F'ing the ineffable since 1974

#6 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 11:14 AM

Ah, well, this is a toughy. Since I rarely ever buy reels new. LOL. So I put up the price of the reels I buy at their new prices. Just that I always run deals used, or buy through prostaff deals. So never pay the full price. I just wish I could be one of those "big name" guys and get most of my tackle free. LOL.

#7 getholdofjoru

getholdofjoru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 12:21 PM

I won't spend over $100 on a new reel, not including additional spools. If you take at least one spool into consideration I think $150 is tops. I don't need fancy drag systems or anything because I prefer palming rims. I do prefer metalic reels to black though.
----JGR----

Check out my blog at www.thejgrdispatch.com

“Never confuse movement with action.” Ernest Hemingway

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." Jack London

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." Theodore Roosevelt

"Live every week like it's Shark Week." Tracy Morgan

#8 Dble Haul

Dble Haul

I LOVE SD!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 12:33 PM

I have reels ranging from a few cheapo Martins to the Orvis Vortex rated for 12 weight lines. Because of this range, I voted $400 or more on the poll because the Vortex easily surpasses that mark.

And it's worth every penny. wink.gif
Mark

#9 Todder

Todder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 03:15 PM

My next reel will be a Harris Solitude V or VI Large Arbor so choose the $300 range.

#10 Lance Kekel

Lance Kekel

Adored by fish feared by women!...no wait a minute, fish adore..I mean, women..feared.......oh forget it!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 05:39 PM

I voted for the 200-299 but I'm kind of all over the board on this. The past couple trout reels have been all been over $100 after having one come apart on me in the middle of fighting what would have been my biggest brown ever. The need for a quality reel for steelhead and salmon is what the main reason I'm in on the this range though.
Lance Kekel

Get me on the water!!

#11 skeet3t

skeet3t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 05:56 PM

My most expensive reel is a Pflueger Supreme costing $65. Others are cheaper- down to about $10 bucks. My observance is that for most fishing the lower priced reels are adequate. For big salmon or saltwater, I might opt for a better quality reel with a precision drag. But remember- I'm cheap! wink.gif

John Torchick

So much water, so little time!
Enjoying the Creation, Praising the Creator!

#12 Peddler

Peddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:36 PM

I'm not cheap but I'm reasonable! Sorry, old joke. dry.gif
I'm not cheap but I'm thrifty at times. I tend to grab opportunity when it knocks. When Orvis was blowing out what is arguably the finest trout reel made, the old C.F.O. click and pawl, I scooped up what I needed and I am extremely glad I did.
When I was at a Bass Pro Shop and noticed a Litespeed in the case at almost 1/2 off, I scooped that up too. I am VERY glad I did that too. Some of the salt water fish I caught this fall would have left burn tatoo's in my palm were it not for the smoooooth drag on that reel!
Other times I justify a pricey reel by thinking it will escalate in value. That I nailed when I bought some Charlton stuff a dealer was blowing out a few year ago.
The way I see it, anything you buy that satisfies you and leaves you with no doubt as to its worth is worth the price. I wish Fifi felt that way too!

#13 wickedcarpenter

wickedcarpenter

Hello my names Brent...and i'm a Swapaholic,but i can quit anytime i want..really!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 08:47 PM

i spent $385 on a Ross GB5.Super sweet reel with a sweet drag!Not that i'm made of money,But when it comes time to play.....i play and want something that won't let me down.The rod set me back $530 and that's worth more than all my Bass rods put together bugeyes.gif
Hopefully the Wife could find it in her heart to get me a Jack Charlton reel for Christmas LoL! i'll keep on dreaming.

#14 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I said "boo" to Gregor Clegane. He ran and hid !

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,695 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (TroutBum @ Nov 10 2004, 10:41 AM)
I think for many fishing situations a $100 or less reel is all you will ever need. But if you target species that make long sustained runs deep into your backing that budget reel is toast.

Paul summed up my feeling exactly.

For trout and other species i wont pay more than about $75 since its mainly a line holder, but for salmon and steelhead that make long hard runs i use a Harris Solitude IV and Ross gunnison both in the $300-400 range so i voted 300-399.

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#15 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 03:56 PM

I must be off my Rocker laugh.gif

I don't mind spending money if it's on something I want. Did I really need it? Nope, but... If I don't blow it, my wife will...LOL

Got a Vortex, 2 CFO discs, A Battenkill LA, extra spools for all of them, one of those over-priced ULA's and a couple entry levels that I retired, not that there was anything wrong with them, but I couldn't see hanging a Martin from a T&T.

Why buy twice dunno.gif help.gif blink.gif

I don't think any of us started out with top-end gear, but somehow end up there...
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.