Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Storing Neoprene Waders

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 02:07 PM

I know with the old rubber waders they needed to be stored so there were no creases, etc. in them or they'd crack. I just bought a pair of Hodgeman 5mm dura-stretch neoprene chest waders and was wondering the proper way to store them so I can get as much use out of them as possible

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I said "boo" to Gregor Clegane. He ran and hid !

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,691 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 02:10 PM

Long as they are dry its hard to improperly store neo's. I'd say just make sure they are dry inside and out then put them in a warm dry place and your good to go.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#3 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 02:12 PM

I guess I'll just keep em in the big zip lock bag and box they came in, thanks steel biggrin.gif

#4 ArkieFlyGuy

ArkieFlyGuy

It just doesn't get and better than Kenny G.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 02:18 PM

The BEST way is to hang them up by the feet in a cool dry place like a closet. I tend to clean mine, let them dry, roll them, and put them in my duffle. Keep them dry and fairly clean after use and they should last "forever." I've never had neoprenes to keep a crease in them, but that's why I roll them up.
TIGHT LINES, YA'LL!!!

Arkie Fly Guy's NEW AND IMPROVED website...

I'm not a fly fisherman.... But I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!!!!....

#5 mcfly

mcfly

><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 04:13 PM

Mine hang by the door, never know when you might need them in an emergency. You know like being thrown out or the wife and kids are not home when you get home from work. Those kind of things.
To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes may be the biggest mistake of all. - Peter McWilliams

#6 ArkieFlyGuy

ArkieFlyGuy

It just doesn't get and better than Kenny G.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 04:22 PM

I keep mine in my truck scooter.gif behind the seat under my rods and vest. You never know when a body of water will pop up in front of you that just has to be fished at that moment. thumbsup.gif Guess it's just that Boy Scout in me...... innocent.gif

(wait a minute.... I was never in Boy Scouts..... hmmmmmm huh.gif )
TIGHT LINES, YA'LL!!!

Arkie Fly Guy's NEW AND IMPROVED website...

I'm not a fly fisherman.... But I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!!!!....

#7 wayne SW/MO

wayne SW/MO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 11:23 AM

I have a pair of Hodgman Neos, that are 8-10 years old. I've just followed the rule of keeping them from what can damage them. Excessive heat, sunlight, proximity to electric motors are things I've avoided. I try to never roll them tight when wet. I don't know that this would hurt the neoprene, but I don't need any mildew or mold. I also hang them in a closet when I'm not going to be using them for awhile. If I can hang up a pair of $30 jeans, I can hang a $100+ pair of waders.
Taney County, Missouri

#8 Bob_A

Bob_A

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 05:22 PM

I always make sure that my waders are full dry and I hanging the upside (from the boot shoe) in my closet.

Bob

#9 ctducker

ctducker

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 12:18 PM

I duck hunt alot and also fish alot in my neoprenes and I recommend that you wash them off (especially if you head to the salt water) and dry them with a peet boot dryer and hang them upside down with a boot hanger in a cool place out of the sun and extreme heat. Now with that being said I beat the heck out of mine and use them at least every other day (try to go everyday) during the duck season and I only follow those recommendations lightyly LOL and they do just fine. The only problem I have is I split the seams alot climbing in and out of boats. Neoprenes take a beating and keep on ticking especially if you use waterfowl type waders for fishing like I do in real cold weather.