Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Sealing fly line ends

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fishyfranky

fishyfranky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 07:45 PM

I don't know if it matters but I've been sealing my floating fly line ends with Aquaseal (stuff used to patch waders) because I figure water can wick into the core and thus cause it to sink. Is this being paranoid? dunno.gif

#2 chemprof2001

chemprof2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 12:36 AM

Some people say it Is necessary, while others don't. I don't, but I've made loops from the braided core of the line and a nail not back onto the flyline and then sealed the not and end with thinned goop so i giure the end is probably sealed anyway. I really haven't compared a sealed line to an unsealed line for a similar lenght of time.

Mark Delaney
So much water, so little time!!
http://chemprof.trip...om/fishing.html

#3 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 06:40 AM

yes its important....the braided core does absorb water making the tip sink, also once wet it can rot and make a weak spot in the line...

sandfly/bob

www.facebook.com/bigmeadowsflyshop/

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

"I TIE FROM BILLFISH TO GUPPIE FLY'S" !
Fly Fishing and Tying Ghillie

#4 Flyweaver

Flyweaver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 02:44 PM

Sandflyx/Bob I think you don't know what you are talking about. Guess Who?
The only thing golden about the golden years is your urine

#5 Bamboo

Bamboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 03:09 PM

I use zap-a-gap to seal it off and, yes, I think it does make a significant difference. The old Orvis Wonderline seemed to be real susceptible to the sinking.

Bamboo
"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley