Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

SW fly hooks

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kenneyk

kenneyk

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:00 AM

Hi everyone,
Throughout recent years I've used mostly Mustad 34007, sizes 6 through 1 for bonefish and 1 through 3/0 for tarpon. Now there are so many companies that make stronger, sharper hooks. I like they looks of the Gamakatsu Octopus size 6 through 3/0 (red, and nickle = NS black?), but they look slightly offset. Has anyone used these for flies or have a preference on others?

Thanks!
Kenney

#2 chemprof2001

chemprof2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 02:29 AM

I've stuck with Mustads but have bought a few other brands of saltwater hooks recently, but have not had a chancew to experiment with them yet...

The Mustads are relatively more available here, so I'll probably continue using them in the main.

Mark Delaney
So much water, so little time!!
http://chemprof.trip...om/fishing.html

#3 Sean Juan

Sean Juan

Local Boob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:29 AM

I'm pretty sure Mark Seddotti was using those - he just bent the hook straight no big deal.

I love the Varias hooks but I must say they are too expensive to be losing on rocks generally only use they for Bonito or FA.
F'ing the ineffable since 1974

#4 Fly1

Fly1

another damn Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 12:29 PM

I use the Gamakatsu Octopus for one of my stonefly patterns. I like the black tint of the hook as well.
user posted image

Ken cool.gif
Credit River Cane Rods
<span style='color:blue'>Ken Paterson, Streetsville, Ontario</span>

#5 DFix

DFix

New and improved, guaranteed to handle 3.4 gigs of translation per minute!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 10:09 AM

Seems as if Varivas has gone belly up and their remaining hooks are only available from a shop in New Jersey and Chris Windram at Saltwaterflies.com. Here's the content of a communication between a trusted friend and I:

"Hi Steve.

I could only devote Friday to the show and only to the UFT booth. I didn't have any time to look around or find or buy anything. What's the story on Varivas and how do I get any - from You or how?

Thanks. Dave."

"Chris Windram at saltwaterflies.com has some left in certain sizes and Francine at Down n Trout in Jersey has the last known stash but the shop won`t be open till after the Somerset show. Varivas went belly up and no more are being made."

What a kick in the a$$ that is- one of the finest hooks I've ever seen or tied on, I will seriously reconsider using my remaining Varivas, unless it's to tie display plates for the house.

Mustad Signature Series hooks have raised the bar a bit over their prior saltwater standards at not disgusting prices. I'm sure many of you have tried them- let's hear your comments.

TMC and Gamakatsu fans will rarely be disappointed either.

#6 Dble Haul

Dble Haul

I LOVE SD!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 01:23 PM

Another alternative are the Eagle Claw Billy Pate hooks. They're sharp out of the box and are very strong for the money.
Mark