Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

When is it the best time to fish

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 03:42 PM

Okay, we just had some warm weather and the waer levels shot up. Is that the time to get on the water, or is it better when the levels come back down? Or is there a better scenario?

#2 Kodiak Commando

Kodiak Commando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 03:57 PM

I don't know what species you are fishing for or what type of water you are fishing. In my experience in rivers for salmon,trout and steelhead if the water levels rise the best time to fish is right after the water reaches it's highest point and starts to receed. Generally it does not affect my lake fishing as much as rivers.
I wish my first words when i was born were quote so right before I died I could say unqoute-stepen wright

#3 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I said "boo" to Gregor Clegane. He ran and hid !

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,695 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 04:02 PM

Agree with KC. On rivers the best time to fish on on the receeding swing of the flow. As its climbing the fish are moving into their highwater positions and the water has less visability to it as its rising. As it falls the fish have become adapted and the temp will usually stabalize as well as visability and the fish will become more active.

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#4 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 04:11 PM

So as soon as the river level peaks and starts to fall, and, visibility improves should be good fishing?

#5 Kodiak Commando

Kodiak Commando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 04:14 PM

Steeldrifter has the best explanation for the reasons receeding water is better. Probably another factor for salmon, especiall kings,silver and reds is when the water is rising fast the fish take advantage and shoot up river and don't hold much. When the water starts to receed the fish sense in and slow down and hold more. A good rule of thumb is to always fish river salmon that are hoding and relaxed for they are much more likely to bite.
I wish my first words when i was born were quote so right before I died I could say unqoute-stepen wright

#6 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,695 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE (skunked @ Feb 8 2005, 04:10 PM)
So as soon as the river level peaks and starts to fall, and, visibility improves should be good fishing?

Most times Yes...BUT there are some times when there are exceptions to that rule. One river I fish use to have a daily flow that went up&down because of the flucuation of levels due to the opeing and closing of the gates on the dam that was upstream. The fish seemed to hit better as the water was rising on that river (au sable below foote) but thats really the exception more that the rule in my experiances. Falling water always seems to be better 99% of the time.

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#7 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 04:42 PM

So, lets say we're after rainbows/steelhead, and the water level has fallen back to it's normal level. Are they probably holding in deeper water now?

#8 pennscreekrules

pennscreekrules

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 04:43 PM

I agree that falling water is best. Don't let muddy water discourge you. I've caught some of my nicer trout when the water looked like chocolate milk using nymphs.

#9 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,695 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 04:48 PM

More than just water level plays a role in where they will be at a given time, but if the water has risin and is already back to normal levels then they will be in the normal holding lies.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#10 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 04:51 PM

More than just water level plays a role in where they will be at a given time,

So what else is important?

#11 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,695 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 05:09 PM

Thats explanation could take up an entire book....wait a minute, it has laugh.gif

Lots will play a factor in where to look for them such as water depth,water&air temps, location of spawing gravel, time of year (i.e spring run or fall run) structure, fisherman pressure, sunny or cloudy skies.

You mentioned steelhead some i'm guessing your looking for spring run steelies. if thats the case then the fish will be in the river to spawn in the spring so your best best to find them during the day wouls be to locate some shallow spawning gravel then fish the first hole downstream from the gravel. the fish will usually hold in the first hole during the daylight hours and wait for the cover of less fisherman and darkness to move up on the to gravel.

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#12 Kodiak Commando

Kodiak Commando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 07:40 PM

I agree that you shouldn't let water level discourage you, you can catch fish whatever the water level. I always follow the saying, "The best time to fish in whenever you can." headbang.gif