Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Old Fly Gear

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fishyfranky

fishyfranky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 06:14 PM

Well I must be making my wife happy somehow cool.gif since she went to visit her parents this weekend but let me stay at home to go to the Toronto Fishing Show. I didn't get anything at the show but my wife brought back some old gear given by an old friend of the family:
user posted image
I figure 50's era. There's a J.W. Young Beaudex, a Wheatley-Kilroy fly box/wallet and a whack of wet flys. There's were some nice ones that I'm gonna tie up! I feel I don't use wets enough.

One thing, what's up with the snells? and how did they catch trout using those cables for tippets? bugeyes.gif

#2 Gary Madore

Gary Madore

"Orvis Whore"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 08:19 PM

Nice toys Frank!

I was at the TO show as well.... I found it disappointing, especially fly-fishing wise; how about you?

Cheers!

Gary
A bad day of fishing is still fishing!

#3 fishyfranky

fishyfranky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 09:58 PM

Ya, the show wasn't too great as far as fly fishing stuff was concerned. Picked up some thread, marabou from Troutfitters and bulk silicone skirts, rig floats from a lure making vendor.

The rig floats are pill shaped hard styrofoam and make great indicators. I got a pack of them in red/white!! laugh.gif

#4 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:29 PM

That's a great score. Actually, those wire tippets may be for pike/walleye or maybe even for some saltwater fishing applications. Just all mixed in together. Gotta love scores like that. Love the "Honey, got a gift here for you". Especially when it turns up like that. That's a great find all the way around. In fact, love the flyboxes. Love the wheatleys. Plus the leather fly wallet. I assume that wheatley was just pushed into the wallet, doesn't belong (but could be wrong).

Congrats.

#5 Duffin Boy

Duffin Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:56 PM

Nice score Frank ......beats a T-Shirt!
Old Wheatley is nice and the Wallet might be older than you think.
Now you need an old Boo to refinish, a fedora, an old cane creel and a flask.
I don't know if we have the time for horsehair leaders and Silk fly lines in the graphite age. Hard to believe they fished with some of the old gear. Some of the old stuff is pretty interesting.( The Sportfishing Museum in Vancouver is must see for "finatics"

The show was a disappointment for me as well. The fly stuff was spread out and hard to find.( I never did find the guy with the books) I did not see a place to try out rods etc. I did get to meet a few "Web Friends", nice to put a face to a name.
I guess the Walton show will be a better bet.
Cheers
Duff
My Biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead)
will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

-- Koos Brandt

#6 fishyfranky

fishyfranky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 06:11 PM

Actually, the fly box is riveted to the wallet. Inside the box are 4 rows of springs. All the flys in the paper leafs are snelled with real thick mono like modern 14 - 20 lb sized (that's what I meant by cables). There are some with a yellowish coating on them... saltwater hooks? Here's a pic of the inside:

Attached Files

#7 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 06:50 PM

Oh, gotcha. Thought you mean literally like steel cable. LOL. Hmmm, interesting to see it riveted in. Not sure if it came that way, or if someone did it later. Never saw one like that, but not to say they didn't.

Ok, I know alot of troutflies used to have the tippet pretied in. So you just tied that onto your leader. I have a few flies like that myself. Kind of odd, but how some places sold them. Guess it made guessing the tippet easy. LOL

Depending on the age, you could even want to head back to a Greenheart rod. I actually have an old Greenheart double handed salmon rod from 1860. Pretty cool and SUPER heavy. Sheesh. Talk about them being men to cast them. Just the rod weighs a few pounds. Add reel and the old lines, OMG would be a ton.

#8 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:39 AM

Years ago you could'nt get a fine leader like today...what you did was tie a leader with 3 loops in the line then attach the snelled fly by way of loop to loop connection. great way to fish now. just use a stiff leader so you don't have a twisting problem.. wink.gif

sandfly/bob

www.facebook.com/bigmeadowsflyshop/

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

"I TIE FROM BILLFISH TO GUPPIE FLY'S" !
Fly Fishing and Tying Ghillie