Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Simms wader question...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Jingles

Mr. Jingles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 02:29 PM

Whats the practical difference between the lightweight($199.99) and the freestone(149.99)?

I can compare all the crap they are made of, but it might as well be greek to me....someone care to shed some light?

Also, give me your opinion: are the lightweights worth the extra 50 or so bucks?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Mr. Jingles

#2 wickedcarpenter

wickedcarpenter

Hello my names Brent...and i'm a Swapaholic,but i can quit anytime i want..really!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 02:46 PM

I have the Freestones and they keep me dry and that's what matters biggrin.gif The Freestones are still lightweight waders and worth every penny.
Brent.

#3 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I said "boo" to Gregor Clegane. He ran and hid !

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,691 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 03:00 PM

Ditto to what brent said, I love my freestones going on 4 yrs strong without a single prob. they are super light so I dont see how the light weights could be any lighter IMO.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#4 bly65

bly65

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:05 PM

I have a pair of G3's and Lightweights.

Good Story, got done fishing the yellow breeches in Pa during the xmas season and my orivs waders got thrown in the back of the truck. gpaw's dog was back there and must have smelled some fish on them and baiscally ate them. Went to the new bass pro and my g parents got me the lightweights while my parents secretly bought me the G3's. I love the lightweights. They are very thin, but keep you warm and are very hard to rip, tear, or puncture. No scrapes on them yet. Hold well against the ice up in the erie tribs. About the G3's, lets just say i love em to death. haha there are too many neat gadgets on those waders cool.gif

-screaming reels
bly

#5 lanvaettir

lanvaettir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:56 PM

I think the difference is in the reinforcement areas. Also are the Freestone gortex? Simms waders are great, no matter what type you get. I love mine. Three years fishing really rough areas without a single leak! (Knock on wood!)
Here fishy ... Good fishy ...

#6 jasonk

jasonk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 12:58 AM

the lightweights are made of gore tex, which makes it easy to find pinhole leaks. basicly the inside of the gore tex is white and if you rub it with rubbing alchol any leaks will appear black. the freestones are not made of gore tex so they are harder to patch. my self i'd spring for the lightweights.

#7 kschu

kschu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 01:22 AM

I own the lightweights. This will be my third season in them. These things are wonderful. I swear by them and have recommended them to several others. Every one of those who bought them has come back and thanked me.

I am so pleased with the breathability. I have worn these with a good pair of long underwear while wading the river just after ice out. I've also worn them in the hottest part of August. The real trick is wearing the right undergarment with the right wicking capability.

Now, I know nothing about the Freestones. I can't help you with any sort of comparison.

I will tell you that the Lightweights seem to be reinforced in all the right places. I have one small "nick" in one stocking foot. It does not leak. I have not had to "repair" it. But I did get a pair of gravel guards which I use with the waders now. I probably should have got those right away, but I did not have the funds at the time.

I really like the way I can fold the top down and basically wear the lightweight chest waders as if they were only waist high. I'm very impressed by the way they designed the clips for the suspenders. I normally put my cell phone in a ziplock and keep that in the inside chest pocket. I keep the wader belt in that pocket when I'm storeing the waders.

More later,
Ken S.
Owner: SmallieFishing.com
Member of the Illinois Smallmouth Alliance
Rivers: Fox, DuPage, Kishwaukee, Kankakee
Ponds: Fermilab Ponds, Blackwell Forest Preserve
Fishing primarily DuPage and Kane counties in NE Illinois

#8 fishyfranky

fishyfranky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 08:41 AM

I got a pair of the Freestone bootfoot hippers and they have been great. Chest waders are too stuffy for me come late spring to early fall.