Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

WF?F Fly Lines

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Which WFF line do you like best.

Which WFF line do you like best.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Fishigan

Fishigan

Is that a chick?...Yesss..NOOO!!....Yesss!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 11:45 AM

Each one makes so many models I kept it to brand names. Please do share which specific floating line you like best.

#2 Brewer

Brewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 12:21 PM

cortland 444 lazer

#3 MSUICEMAN

MSUICEMAN

When this baby hits 88mph...your gonna see some serious sh*t!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 01:27 PM

i'm torn between chalkstream platinum by airflo and cortland 444SL. LEAST FAVORITE-CORTLAND 555 Ghost Tip. still rue the day i put that on my 7'6" 4 wt. i should just take it off and sell to someone in the bahamas (of course, who uses a 4 wt down there). I bet its GREAT line in the heat, but in cool/cold temps.... its lacking.... BADLY. Maybe they reformulated it since i got mine (as it was new on the market), but man alive.

steve
He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.

#4 Kodiak Commando

Kodiak Commando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 01:54 PM

I like sage and orvis, by the way why isn't orvis up there. Wonderline is awesome!
I wish my first words when i was born were quote so right before I died I could say unqoute-stepen wright

#5 Fishigan

Fishigan

Is that a chick?...Yesss..NOOO!!....Yesss!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 02:00 PM

Thanks for pointing that out. I put in snowbee but forgot orvis wallbash.gif

#6 jasonk

jasonk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 03:26 PM

the Rio, rio grand for fast action rods, the selective trout for presentaion purposes, and all their sink tips for the spey. i only use sa for their xxd and thats purly a distance casting line.

#7 flymaster

flymaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 07:48 PM

talked good about orvis on the other post now heres for SA i like the GPX really well. it is a quality line and if you like orvis it is made by SA anyway! so why not vote for both i guess.

FM
CPR Catch-Photo-Release!

#8 wahl.flies

wahl.flies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 11:38 AM

I also use Orvis Wonderline for Redfish, because of the heat in florida during the summer. Most lines dont work well in the heat down here. Orvis Wonderline works the best so far for the conditions i fish in.

#9 DFix

DFix

New and improved, guaranteed to handle 3.4 gigs of translation per minute!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:56 AM

If it's any help my understanding is Sci.Ang. makes Orvis lines. I use Cortland and Airflo.

#10 Dble Haul

Dble Haul

I LOVE SD!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 11:19 AM

Rio's Clouser line is what I use for floating line when chasing pike, bass, stripers, and bluefish. It's tough to beat for casting big nasty flies, and it floats like a cork.
Mark

#11 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I said "boo" to Gregor Clegane. He ran and hid !

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,695 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 01:37 PM

SA for floating lines mostly. I still have a 4wt wonderline on my winston right now and that line was a waste of $$$ IMO. Its a good line but it dosent cast any farther or better than the SA line at about half the price.

Sinking lines I like Rio

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#12 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 01:29 PM

SA lines for most applications, but I also like the Wulff Triangle taper which I hear is made by SA.

I absolutely and positively hate Cortland saltwater lines. thumbdown.gif I don't know if it is their tapers or coatings but they don't perform nearly as well as SA when it comes to distance and floatability.
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#13 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I said "boo" to Gregor Clegane. He ran and hid !

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,695 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 02:08 PM

Paul whats the idea behind the Wullf triangle taper? I've heard alot of guys talk about it and seen it at the shop but dont really know what the triangle taper is or what the idea behind the design is dunno.gif

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#14 MSUICEMAN

MSUICEMAN

When this baby hits 88mph...your gonna see some serious sh*t!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 02:38 PM

hey steve, the idea is basically what happens when a double taper mates with a weight forward. it it a weight forward line, but the head is longer and tapered, which allows good rollcasting and weight forward shootability.

steve
He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.

#15 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 03:15 PM

Steve's right, it is a kind of hybrid between a DT and a WF with a very long progressive taper. It is a dream to roll cast and when you have to pick it up and let it rip for distance, it performs almost as well as a standard WF line. I like it on my trout rods, not for saltwater.
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image