Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

display flies

When tying a fly for a display, you are extra attenttive in making sure the fly is just right. You toil and sweat and are meticulous in your technique, and the finised fly rests in your vise, picture perfect. You begin to mount your new creation, and UH OH!!! a hackle lies flat, a wing tries to lay astray. Try this little tip before you remove the fly from your vise. spritz a finished display fly with hairspray. Apply the aerosol spray from a generous distance, and do so very gingerly, very lightly. The hairspray acts as a mild stiffener and will help your fly keep its finished presentation for years to come. Commercial stiffeners are available in most hobby and craft stores, so if you chose that route( I prefer hairspray myself) be extra cautious when sprtizing the fly or you may end up with a hard, gunked up mess fit for only the waste can rather than a display box.

Tight lines

Art supply outfits sell a "workable fixatif" (I did not spell the second word incorrectly) which allows for the same ability to lock the materials in place.

Sign in to follow this