Fly Tying
JspFishing

Bobbin Review

When I started, I just purchased a cheap ceramic bobbin and it did its job. I needed another one to tie a different pattern so I was looking at maybe getting a better bobbin, but was a little skeptical of them due to the simplicity of the tool. Like "how come this one is more money if it just wraps thread"....So I grabbed another bobbin a little more money (won't disclose brand in public), but I believe I got a defective one so I exchanged it and paid a little more for the Rite Ceramic Mag. The bobbin is made longer to help with streamer tying. Out of the bag I tried it on a size 22 nymph and all I got to say is wow....there is a huge difference in torque. When I pinch wrap semi difficult material like rubber legs, it doesn't spin on the shank and slip. It can over torque, but you just adjust it one time and its glued. The other bobbin would need a few adjustments to make it stay. The size of the bobbin doesn't bother me at all and I've been tying size 20, 22, 26 flies. So the length doesn't really matter in my opinion. You get this one, you can tie everything...large streamers to micro flies. The built in drag system is nice. I do still use my finger as an auxiliary drag though. Overall, I am happy with it. The fact that nothing slips is nice.

That's great it's working for you and you like it, congrats ! But I guess I'm not getting what was slipping on you before ? On a conventional bobbin you can squeeze the side rails or touch a finger to the thread spool to act as a brake if that's the kind of slip you mean. Still, I'm not knocking your Rite , a lot of people like those.

I am no help in this area.

I am still using my el cheapo bullet style bobbins I bought when I started.

The one time I got a ceramic tip one, it must have been defective and it cut my thread, so back to my old ones.

That's great it's working for you and you like it, congrats ! But I guess I'm not getting what was slipping on you before ? On a conventional bobbin you can squeeze the side rails or touch a finger to the thread spool to act as a brake if that's the kind of slip you mean. Still, I'm not knocking your Rite , a lot of people like those.

Slippery materials like sille/rubber legs, worms, etc. Securing it can be tricky. It can slip or move drastically when you try to clamp it down with your thread. On my old bobbin, I would pinch wrap, adjust it straight again, wrap, adjust straight again, wrap, adjust straight again and then it would stay. On the Rite, it takes 0 to 1 adjustment to secure it good.

Rite Bobbins are biggest single brand in my arsenal, but I am something of a collector, of these and hackle pliers- would be on vices/vises too. Latter just not in my current budget

I'm also not sure how the bobbin itself provides torque that prevents spinning material around the shank. the bobbin allows for tension on the thread but this has little to nothing to do with spinning material around the hook. I think your just getting better at holding material on the hook with your other hand. I'm glad you like your new bobbin. confidence in your equipment will carry the day like nothing else.

I'm also not sure how the bobbin itself provides torque that prevents spinning material around the shank. the bobbin allows for tension on the thread but this has little to nothing to do with spinning material around the hook. I think your just getting better at holding material on the hook with your other hand. I'm glad you like your new bobbin. confidence in your equipment will carry the day like nothing else.

You're probably right lol. I was tying a bunch of the same flies before I got it. Although, the tip is drastically smaller and that definitely helps with my precision.

You're probably right lol. I was tying a bunch of the same flies before I got it. Although, the tip is drastically smaller and that definitely helps with my precision.

The bottom line is there are a bunch of people who like those bobbins and now so do you. There is something to be said for a tool that you enjoy using, is comfortable and not fussy to use.. Do you think you will buy more of them along the way ?

The bottom line is there are a bunch of people who like those bobbins and now so do you. There is something to be said for a tool that you enjoy using, is comfortable and not fussy to use.. Do you think you will buy more of them along the way ?

For sure. I did get the ceramic mag so its good for micro flies and large saltwater streamers so one is enough for right now. I don't really mind changing out thread. I have one cheap bobbin that I use still for patterns that require 2 bobbins. Overall, feels good in the hand. I do like the fine tip on it.

I keep one of my old original bobbins just for floss, it's an old copper tubed bobbin.. I don't wind on floss by hand though, I use the rotary feature of the vise which keeps it from twisting. I don't really need a bobbin to hold the floss but it does offer nice/ better control. I find I get smoother floss wraps tis way, especially on long Gray and Green Ghost streamers. So you might consider that use for your old bobbin if you get into floss bodies and have a rotary vise.

From time to time I cast a longing eye at the Rite bobbins. But every time I just about buy one I remember how well the simple Griffin Supreme bobbin works for half the price. I'm a tool junkie like a lot of folks here but with limited funds I chose to spend the money on materials instead.

One day, though. One day.

I've long been temped to buy a RiteBobbin, thanks for sharing your review!

My mainstay has been the Umpqua Ergonomic bobbins, simple and they fit my hands perfect, but they have a tenancy to do the dreaded bobbin squeak. Now it doesn't bother me much, but my significant other can't stand the sound. She likes to hang out in the office and work on her stuff while I tie. One night she had enough of the squeak and said "What can I buy you to make that not happen!?". I showed her the C&F bobbins and one showed up in the mail two days later! Excellent tension and thread flows like dream!

...On another note does anyone know how to make a vise squeak? I've got my eyes on a Renzetti Master!

laugh.png Hazathor!

Use the rotary function and play recordings of squeaks on your phone at the same time.