Fly Tying
flytire

Bob Jacklin: Muddler Minnow

Hi Norm,

Watching that, I'd like to see what his size 10 yellow muddler looks like. I did a quick search, but didn't find too much. Thanks for posting that !

Regards,

Mark

The yellow ones we used/tied for Maine had yellow deer or calves tail hair as the under wing. The rest of the fly was tied same as any other Muddler. Course that doesn't tell us how Bob ties his. Same size though (10) and they caught fish. It was kind of a late summer and fall thing. My stepson caught his first landlocked salmon on one of those up there in Sept of 1989. He caught his second one in a different river on the same trip with a Gray Ghost streamer ( funny how we can remember these things but get in my car and I'm not sure if I locked the door to the house or not, get out to check to find out I did !!).

That was neat. The Long Beach Casting Club is where I learned to tie flies.(started about 1967-68)went there once a week for 4 years. Had in instructions from Ed Muller...that brought back memories.

They would have all the materials for sale pacakged up small, just enough to tie a dozen of that weeks fly...you bought them and they would teach you a fly that night. They had quite a few instructors walking around. You tied one fly that night and your home work was to go home and tie a dozen and bring them back next week and they would be judge...1st 2nd 3rd with some prizes.

It was pretty cool.

i particularly the the informative history and explanation of the materials used to tie the fly, something these new video fly tyers dont do, dont know or just dont care about

I would venture that most do not know.

Most of the time I think people talk too much in videos.

But, in videos like this one, they can't talk enough.

It is from people like him, and many of you in the forum, that people like me learn.

A lot.

i particularly the the informative history and explanation of the materials used to tie the fly, something these new video fly tyers dont do, dont know or just dont care about

Me too

I was taught to whipfinish like that and still do it that way today

That was the muddler I was taught also, exactly like that

I would venture that most do not know.

Most of the time I think people talk too much in videos.

But, in videos like this one, they can't talk enough.

It is from people like him, and many of you in the forum, that people like me learn.

A lot.

Agreed, and for me this is the Internet fulfilling its promise.