Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SoCalRoc

What primer/clear coat for poppers with copic airbrush

Hi guys,

So, I just ordered the copic airbrush system along w/ some markers. Since the copic markers are alcohol based, I'm assuming I want to use an alcohol based primer as well? I know zinsser makes one I can spray on. Then, when it comes to the final clear coat...would a marine spar varnish in a spray can work well?? Appreciate any help fellas.

If you've got the money ... look into UV resin. Infinite (or nearly so) work time ... as long as you're not in the sun. Instant (or nearly so) set time when hit with a UV light. Rarely makes inks or paints run.

If you've got the money ... look into UV resin. Infinite (or nearly so) work time ... as long as you're not in the sun. Instant (or nearly so) set time when hit with a UV light. Rarely makes inks or paints run.

Right man, great advice. Thank you

SoCal:

Lots of finishes will make the Copic colors run, I use a mix of Copic and Createx Acrylic paints. You can usually solve the run problem with a mist of the acrylic fixers that you can get from the craft stores. Just a mist and a second mist after the first on dries. (they dry very quick) If you over apply the fixer it will cause the comic colors to run also.

Look at CSI "Seal Coat"for the top coat. It"s a water based urethane that is available in various sized containers from most of the big tackle mail-order outfits. I thin it down a bit with water and dip the heads, then rotate. A couple of coats are required however its dry to touch in an hour when applied per directions. (No odor and water cleanup)

You can use most of the epoxy finishes without intermediate acrylic coat if you don't mind the two part mix and long set time.

As Mike said the UV is an option, most have a bad vapor that hangs in the shop for days that I dislike and since its UV you can't work with it outdoors during daylight hours.

I have also some experience with the Zinsser primer in the spray can and it applies much too heavy. You will probably have better luck with a can Zinsser BIN (Same product I think) and you can thin with DNA to something about the consistency of milk. Dip and rotate, Covers great and dries quick.

With Zinsser BIN and SealCoat you can prime, paint and top coat in one day easy.

uv resins are nice and convenient but can crack (no evidence of lingering odor when applying to popper heads)

IjETuTR.jpg

l4cCaEt.jpg