Fly Tying
Patriot

Found a great source for Miyuki 3.4mm Fringe Seed beads

If anyone is using these beads, I found a source for these beads that is half of what you can find on Amazon. Here is the link for anyone who may be interested.

Thanks!

P.S. My apologies, but I accidentally inserted the wrong page to the Miyuki fringe seed beads. It is correct now.

The link is real ... but I am not sure we'll hear from "Patriot" again. Looks like a sales spam, to me.

Patriot, My apologies, and welcome to the site ... if you're still there.

@mikechell

You have a funny way of making a new member welcome. Regardless, I will accept your apology if it was sincere.

Yes, it was sincere.

We get many one time posts, that are just advertisements. And of course, there are the phishing and scamming posts which mimic advertisements.

So, we prefer someone not put a link on a post until we've gotten to know you a little.

Please, introduce yourself ... that's usually the way potential members become welcome members.

Glad to see you ARE still here ... and truly, welcome to the site.

I tried glass beads in past. Cheaper yes but what I got ended up as 500 beads with maybe 100 useable as most are miss shaped and holes are not regulated to exact thus out of 100 maybe 75 is useable. A lot to sort out so I buy the beads made for us now. Good looking out though and hope yours are better than I got.

Welcome and post finds as many use those sources to offset cost.

@Tom Cummings

What did you mean when you wrote, "...so I buy the beads made for us now."?

My info came from the Autumn 2017 issue of Fly Tyer. On page 38 is an article by Hans van Klinken ( the klinkhamer guy, I believe) who demos the use of these beads. It also has info on how to find these beads on Amazon. The link I accidently found listed the same beads (and count) for approximately half the AZ price.

That said, I just wanted to pass on the info to those who use these beads. Personally, I have never used these beads, but I have some on the way, so I hope I made a wise decision. Nearly all of my ties are for the San Juan river in Northern New Mexico and my hook sizes are from #20-#24. I hope that these beads will augment the 'bubble' thorax that some emergers exhibit on their rise to the surface.

Time will tell.

"100 grams Crystal Clear 4x7mm Miyuki Long Magatama Glass Fringe Beads LMA-131"

the fringe beads in the "link" are kinda bid for size 20-24 hooks

they are 4 x 7 mm = .159 x .275 inches

OPA1nco.jpg

What I meant was that the glass beads I tried was poor quality so I went back to using the beads that are made for fly tying. I don't use that many beads so a higher price for fewer beads didn't become an issue. Please post your results from the order. I may be pleasantly surprised and do an order.

"flytying glass beads" = "craft glass beads"

Very few products are manufactured solely for the flytying community

"100 grams Crystal Clear 4x7mm Miyuki Long Magatama Glass Fringe Beads LMA-131"

the fringe beads in the "link" are kinda bid for size 20-24 hooks

they are 4 x 7 mm = .159 x .275 inches

I just double-checked the link and once again, it was not correct. Here is the correct page to the Miyuki beads that I ordered:

https://rockinbeads.com/search.php?search_query=Miyuki+Fringe+seed+beads

(I also updated the original link. Again.)

According to the tracking provided, the package is now in El Paso so I may be getting them tomorrow or Saturday. When they arrive I will post a photo similar to yours. After seeing your excellent image, I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy about this purchase. My wife has done beadwork for years, so hopefully if they are too big for my flies, she can use them.

Thanks for the feedback.

What I meant was that the glass beads I tried was poor quality so I went back to using the beads that are made for fly tying. I don't use that many beads so a higher price for fewer beads didn't become an issue. Please post your results from the order. I may be pleasantly surprised and do an order.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I will indeed post my results with photos when the beads arrive. According to tracking info they may arrive tomorrow or Saturday. When they do, I will post a photo similar to flytire's excellent photo.

It's more than a little embarrassing to see one's creation's up close, but for the sake of science - here are some of my beaded flies.

The first image shows several beaded flies that are a #22 and #24. The second image is of the same size bead in my calipers. I'm hoping that the Miyuki's will be close to this. Time will tell.

post-61757-0-70213700-1506021494_thumb.jpg

post-61757-0-74251500-1506021517_thumb.jpg

if you bought the beads indicated in your link. they will not be 1.57mm

Miyuki 3.4mm Fringe Seed Bead Glass Tear Drops