Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chugbug27

With Kids Spring Winter And Summer at City Park New Orleans

Looks like I'm going to be spending some time with my kids in New Orleans in the spring and winter, and a lot of time in the summer, starting as early as this winter. My daughter (12) is just getting into fly tying and fly fishing, my 15 year old son not so much (yet?). My own experience is almost all with trout flies in cold streams in the Sierras and northern Cali, so this is all going to be new for me...

Any suggestions for:

1. City Park seems to be one of the best spots to take them, but any other suggestions? No guides, no boat.

2. I assume early morning and evening, regardless of season?

3. What fish to target in spring, winter and summer?

4. What flies to tie? I'm looking for my daughter and I to fill a nice box or two together, long distance.

5. Any good resources to suggest re books & youtubers for this type of flyfishing & tying? Mostly for me but maybe also for my daughter.

Hope that's not too much for one topic... Much thanks in advance for any help!

Every time I've fished the lakes and channels in New Orleans, I've caught tons of Rio Grand (or Texas) Cichlids. It's the only North American cichlid ... but considered an invasive species in NOLA, I believe.

They're eager to hit, but with small mouths ... even smaller than Bluegill. So your trout flies will do well. They readily take minnow imitations up to size 8 hooks, but I wouldn't go any larger than that.

There's a good number of bass in there, too, but the cichlids are more numerous and quicker to attack. Larger flies can discourage them and give you some better shots at bass.

City Park is a beautiful place and you'll enjoy fishing there. It can get crowded (with park users, not necessarily fisherman) when the weather is nice but there is a ton of water so you shouldn't have trouble finding a spot to fish.

Matt Bennett (Fly Geek Custom Flies) has a fly called a Rio Getter (he has a how-to-tie video on YouTube) that works really well for Central Texas Rios, so I assume it would work well for their Cajun cousins. Rios like warmer water and from my experience aren't too active in the winter (although I am not sure how much "winter" New Orleans actually receives) so you may want to target another species in that time. Also, Bayou St. John runs along the east side of City Park and is salt water (Lake Pontchartrain is just to the north). I know it holds speckled trout but I have never fished it so I can't offer any tips on when the fishing is best for them. But if you can find them, small baitfish and shrimp patterns will get them to bite.

I also enjoy fishing the canals in Metairie and Kenner that flow into Pontchartrain. They are not scenic, but hold a good number of Rios, carp and gar (and presumably bass and sunfish although I have never caught them there).

Thanks both. Mike, you said trout flies will work, does that include insect imitations/attractors, or just the predatory stuff?

There's a lot of fish in those ponds ... and most of them are schooled together, so ANYTHING that hits the water is prey. Some of the largest fish key on the smallest bugs, if they can get to them first.

Insect patterns, especially landed close to shore, will get wakes, as fish race to be first to the fly. It can be very exciting fishing, even if you do get into a school of smaller fish.

Personally, I don't like using really small flies and nymphs because I end up hooking 2 inch long sunfish.

If you get that, then just start sizing up until you're catching in the larger ranges.

But just like stories of 20+ inch trout and salmon on size 22 midges, large sunfish and even bass will sip tiny stuff, too.

4wt 8.5' medium-fast graphite sound right for City Park?

That will work just fine. You aren't going to have to cast far. I typically fish it with a 6'6" 3/4 weight Eagle Claw Featherlight.