Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

10' 4wt xi "My new toy!"

Finally caught up on customer rods enough where I was able to sneak in a few minutes here & there to work on a new rod for myself. This is a 10' 4wt that I built to add to my own collection and use on the big waters of the Au Sable. Blank is Xi H&H 10' 4wt 4pc, grip has seven coats of urethane, classic twist brown & black wraps with metallic copper trim and a custom matching sock.
6wopUf.jpg
R1tuEn.jpg
cVYPPW.jpg
8vzaQc.jpg
h49frB.jpg
yAOXYU.jpg
VrxW1H.jpg
TJbxM2.jpg
bjaOWS.jpg

Really like that color combo. Not too sure that I would like fishing with that super slick looking grip though it is pretty to look at.

While it looks slick, the opposite is actually the case. The urethane coating gives a very high traction "grippiness" (is that a word? lol) Before I did my first one years ago I always looked at coated grips and wondered how guys ever were able to hang onto the slick looking grips. Then I did one and was amazed at how much traction they have.

That is a beautiful rod, Steve. I like the tapering wraps at the grip ... and I LOVE the grip !!!

While it looks slick, the opposite is actually the case. The urethane coating gives a very high traction "grippiness" (is that a word? lol) Before I did my first one years ago I always looked at coated grips and wondered how guys ever were able to hang onto the slick looking grips. Then I did one and was amazed at how much traction they have.

Ya I did a grip for my wife's 4 wt in spar urethane just as a sealer coat ( two coats) and if anything the gripping action or traction improved.. But it's some slow drying stuff !

Nice rod Steve,great colors, rich looking.

The high traction grippiness is exactly why I thought it might be unpleasant, as a long time carpenter, I learned to avoid urethane or varnish on any handle, because nothing in the world creates a blister faster.

On a rod the hand might not get blistered, but my instincts all flare up at the visual of varnish on a handle.

It is very pretty though. Wish you much joy and many fish on it.

I have two other rods I did the handles on like this as well, never had any blister issues at all, probably because your not using the type of force with a rod as you are with a hammer.

Thanks, should be putting it to use in a few weeks. Got a steelhead trip planned for 3 days in about a week but once I get back from that then we'll start hitting the trout and this rod will start seeing some action then.

Okay, I get it now (I think). They are bands, not a single spiral that tapers.

Well I like it. I wonder how that would look as accents over guide foot wraps. Might add some weight if you want a smooth finish but I bet it would look style'in.

Guess my brain saw what it wanted to as far as a spiral. I was just trying to figure out how you did it it was, I can think of a couple things to try, but what a PIA it would be to make it look natural and neat.