Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Bead to hook size ???

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,251 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:01 AM

This is one of those thing's I never had to think about till my local fly shop moved a couple week's ago mad.gif

Use to when I needed beads/cones I would simply walk into the shop, pick up a couple packs in my hand and could tell what size hook the bead fit just my looking at it. Now that the shop has moved ( mad.gif again) I can't physically hold the beads in my hand, so my problem is I never actually learned what size bead fit what size hook.

So now ordering beads off line I have no idea what size to get for each hook size.

So question- is there a chart somewhere that someone can direct me to that show's hook size X call's for bead size "Y" dunno.gif

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#2 maddog48

maddog48

I Am My River's Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:39 AM

Steve... according to my Kaufman catalogue...

1/16"....1.5mm ....20-26

5/64th" ...2.0 mm 16-20

3/32" .....2.3mm 14-18

7/64" .... 2.8mm 12-16

1/8" .....3.3mm 10-14

3/16" ...3.8mm 6-10

3/16" ....4.8mm 2-8

1/4" .....6.4mm 1/0-4

Hope this helps you.

Mike
Procrastinate now. Don't put it off.

#3 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,251 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:08 AM

Exactly what I was looking for Mike. much appreciated headbang.gif

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#4 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,764 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 05:05 AM

http://www.killroys....harts/beads.htm

http://www.orvis.com..._id=6479&bhcp=1

http://www.tradition.../glassbeads.asp

http://www.tradition...r.com/beads.asp

Once youve picked one that you like, go to "File" in the upper left hand side of your browser and click on "Save page as" and store it on your hard drive.

Could the owner of this board or a moderator make a sticky of some of these charts for future use!

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -George Carlin

"You must tie your fly & fish your fly so the trout can enjoy & appreciate it." ~James Leisenring

#5 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,251 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:34 PM

Good idea flytire, I think I'll move&pin this topic at the top of the beginner forum. I'm sure these links will come in real handy for other guy's wondering the same thing.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#6 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:57 PM

Speaking of bead sizes, I hate it when you got to get beads, and the packages are labeled,"small", "medium", "large", etc. I nearly took a micrometer in the shop with me last time I needed beads dry.gif

#7 AlG

AlG

SD IS MY ORVIS HERO!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:54 PM

I guess i went about things all wrong dry.gif

I've never even considered it because my wife picks them up at local beading stores, and i just pick through till it fits. biggrin.gif But for some reason she runs out of these golden and rainbow colored ones quite often hysterical.gif

#8 Ralph Jones

Ralph Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:23 AM

I'm not much of a trout fishing person. 90% of my fishing is for Bluegill & Shellcrackers. I want my flies to sink slowly so I use the 1/16 or 5/64 in. beads for size 8 & 10 flies. If they sink too fast the fish I go after won't hit them very often. Ralph
If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

#9 madkasel

madkasel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE(Ralph Jones @ Apr 25 2006, 03:23 AM) View Post

I'm not much of a trout fishing person. 90% of my fishing is for Bluegill & Shellcrackers. I want my flies to sink slowly so I use the 1/16 or 5/64 in. beads for size 8 & 10 flies. If they sink too fast the fish I go after won't hit them very often. Ralph

Another reason why it's so annoying that it's hard to find anything but pricey tungsten beads anymore.

I bought some medium cone heads yesterday figuring they'd fit onto a size 10 hook... no go! Grrrrr...
The precious stones in the queen's round metal hat glittered like jewels in a crown.

#10 Canadian Llama

Canadian Llama

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 01:12 PM

This was a question I was asked a repeatedly as a mfg of brass and tungsten beads. Michael Crosby of Western Flyfishers kindly did an extensive review of my beads for weight and fit using quite a good number of hook brands. He even tried models and sizes of hook brands to give you an excellent fit resource. Although he did these measurements on my beads - I expect the information might be generally applied to other beads with tapered rear holes.

You can print out a copy from my page:

http://www.canadianl...m/beadchart.htm

I also have a similar chart showing weights/sizes of glass/brass/tungsten which Michael provided. It's not on the site, but I'd happily e-mail it to anyone wanting it as it also is a good informational document.

Further reference material including cone heads is in development.

Tight Lines

#11 jmkratt

jmkratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:54 PM

Very helpful, thanks guys!

#12 flyfishingtaz

flyfishingtaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:01 PM

Id try staying with the beads from fly fishing shops. I've tried the ones from the craft stores, and they wont work. They're not recessed so you cant get them around the bend of the hook. Although if you could ream an end out it may possibly work.
I love farm ponds!! You can catch gills all day, and not care about hooking into a bigger

MY BLOG

#13 Slacker

Slacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:29 PM

I always forget the answer to this question regarding bead heads ......

The big hole goes towards the eye of the hook right......... blink.gif

#14 Hairstacker

Hairstacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:51 PM

Nope, the other way around -- the big hole faces the rear of the hook.

-- Mike

#15 Funnel30

Funnel30

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:03 PM

Great post and just what I was looking for. Still looks very confusing at this point and its so hard to find the stuff you need right now in the middle of summer. So I've been doing lots of running around trying to find the right ones. Thanks again