Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Bead to hook size ???

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 Crackaig

Crackaig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:35 AM

Huge problem here is it doesn't matter what size you order, as most retailers seem to think of a number and stick that on as a size. If you have any of the old ones you could measure those but the number is really meaningless. Its a bit like hook sizes in that respect. I keep a few sizes in stock that I know will cover the range of bead heads I'm normally asked to tie and just re stock from the same retailer. I'm in a position to buy them by the thousand so that's a huge advantage. Both on cost and consistency.

It doesn't help that people measure beads in different ways. Some across the diameter some will measure across the edges of the hole. Just to further muddle things up they will not tell you how they have arrived at the number.

As with hooks it is really our fault for accepting this. If we agree a standard set of definitions for sizing and refuse to buy anything that isn't rated according to the standard definition manufacturers will very quickly get their act together. (That doesn't mean they have to be made to the standard, just the difference stated on the packaging so you know what you are dealing with).

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Cheers,

C.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd
by the clean end"

#32 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:01 AM

It should be understood that bead to hook charts are approximations of what size beads fit what size hooks and should not be considered as actual science. All fly tyers have the option to to install a different size bead for a given hook.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -George Carlin

"You must tie your fly & fish your fly so the trout can enjoy & appreciate it." ~James Leisenring

#33 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

It will take a slightly larger hole for the bead to fit a given hook size and that may mean a larger bead than you want to use.  

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#34 GdubyaSmith

GdubyaSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:21 AM

I guess i went about things all wrong dry.gif

I've never even considered it because my wife picks them up at local beading stores, and i just pick through till it fits. biggrin.gif But for some reason she runs out of these golden and rainbow colored ones quite often hysterical.gif

LOL...that's me :D I go through them, pick up a bead, and find the size hook it fits.

I appreciate this thread too...I can order what I want now instead of raiding her crafting beads!

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it.  What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach

"There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." ~ Lefty Kreh

#35 Dcap240

Dcap240

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

I just bought a pack of wapsi cyclops beads in 7/64 and they're supposed to fit 12,14,16. I tried to put them on a mustad 3x size 16 nymph sproat and they don't fit. I thought on the 16 they would fit even though its 3x heavy, but no go. Those charts are for 1X dry/ nymph hooks. You guys probably already know this but I just figured it out so I thought I would put it out there. They would probably fit a 2x also.

#36 wschmitt3

wschmitt3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:53 AM

I got this chart from J.S. Fly Fishing with an order it has been useful.

But I can't get it to show right side up.

Attached Files

-I like fly fishing. Call me Will.

"The lover of nature is he whose inward and outward senses are still truly adjusted to each other; who has retained the spirit of infancy even into the era of manhood."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

#37 ski.parent

ski.parent

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:40 PM

Steve... according to my Kaufman catalogue...

1/16"....1.5mm ....20-26

5/64th" ...2.0 mm 16-20

3/32" .....2.3mm 14-18

7/64" .... 2.8mm 12-16

1/8" .....3.3mm 10-14

3/16" ...3.8mm 6-10

3/16" ....4.8mm 2-8

1/4" .....6.4mm 1/0-4

Hope this helps you.

Mike

This is a great table which I've saved for future reference .I think there is a minor error  - the 3.8mm size should read 5/32" (there are two 3/16" sizes for 4.8mm and 3.8mm in the above table).

Cheers.

Ninety percent of my salary I spent on booze and women … and the other ten percent I wasted.
Tug McGraw.

#38 YosemiteSam

YosemiteSam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:14 AM

I noticed the only beads I have are listed as being 5/32 size, and this was not listed on the chart. Thanks for clearing that up.

#39 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:23 AM

its on this chart. bookmark it for future reference

http://flymenfishing...Guide_v2.01.pdf

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -George Carlin

"You must tie your fly & fish your fly so the trout can enjoy & appreciate it." ~James Leisenring

#40 YosemiteSam

YosemiteSam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:56 AM

Looks like what I have would be perfect for, say, a #8 Bead-Head Wooly Bugger and too large for a #14 Bead-Head Hare's Ear nymph. Am I correct?

#41 Fourbit

Fourbit

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:17 PM

Thank you, FlyTire! Nice find. I could have used it last night. ;)

#42 Triple_B

Triple_B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:39 PM

Great page, always good to know some of this. I have been always on the cheaper side and used the cheap craft store beads, but found the ones at the fly shop easier to work with. I got an old friend that handed me a couple beadheads, they were really heavy and little different looking. Come find out they were guitar beads. Talk about little trout slayers. Probably not a cheaper rout though.

#43 flye-tiein

flye-tiein

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for the graph! It helps alot!