Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Best Beginner Fly Tying Book

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#1 CapeBSalar

CapeBSalar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 08:43 PM

Hi Guys,
There are so many great books out there on beginner fly tying but if I'm to pick two or three to suggest to the Association what three would you guys all reccommend? Now I'm talking never tied a fly before, going to have some lessons, need a book type beginner tyer! smile.gif smile.gif
Thanks.
Damian
Canadian Fly Tyer's

Damian's Flytyer.ca Profile

Damian's Classic Salmon Fly Website

Fly Tyer's Daily Blog

"Neither is there a right way nor a wrong way to tie a fly---sometimes just a better way."
J. Edson Leonard (Preface to his 1988 Edition of Flies, 1950, A.S. Barnes, NY)

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." Henry David Thoreu

riversedgeflyfishing@ns.sympatico.ca

#2 lthrnk

lthrnk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 08:57 PM

"Orvis Guide to Beginning Fly Tying". Covers everything you need to start and reference
GET OFF MY BACK!

#3 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,080 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:20 PM

After picking up the fly tyers benchside reference its my opinion that its the best "how to" tying book out there for anyone of any experiance level.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#4 mozes

mozes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:26 PM

I will second Benchside reference. This is the best book for fly tying. I read this book a few times cover to cover bugeyes.gif . It makes great bathroom reading! This book is great. You can get it free when you sign up for some fly tying magazine for 5 years for about $100 at amotoobooks (sp?) or buy it on ebay for about $70.
David
www.vulcanzone.com

#5 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,080 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:34 PM

mozes I may have just been at the right store at the right time, but i picked mine up about last september at the local orvis store on sale for $60 headbang.gif

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#6 ashbourn

ashbourn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (lthrnk @ Feb 18 2005, 08:57 PM)
"Orvis Guide to Beginning Fly Tying". Covers everything you need to start and reference

If your talking about the one by Eric Lieser that is a great book. The pictures are clear and it gives you a good understanding of all the basic skills.
www.detteflies.com
www.spasegreymatter.com

#7 caughtonlures*com

caughtonlures*com

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:44 PM

The Fly Tyers Bench Reference book is an excellent reference book if you are not in a budget. I found that using a video, and the one I would recommend for beginners would be Beginning Fly Tying by Jack Dennis. Very basic and a good one for following steps. A good website for beginners would be (and I am not advertising)

http://www.tie1on.net/

Just thought I would add some extra information.

Nicholas
"Never look to the Darkside of the Moon for the answers, but to the Light that Beacons within your Heart." Gomez

#8 McManus

McManus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:53 PM

I teach fly tying, and the book I use is Skip Morris book "Fly Tying made Clear and Simple".

That said, if I was sending something to someone who's only help would be the book, in purchasing hooks and materials, equipment, and learning to tie: Hands down 2 books. Randall Kaufmann "Tying Nymphs" and his accompanying book "Tying Dry Flies".

#9 mgj

mgj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (McManus @ Feb 18 2005, 09:53 PM)
That said, if I was sending something to someone who's only help would be the book, in purchasing hooks and materials, equipment, and learning to tie: Hands down 2 books. Randall Kaufmann "Tying Nymphs" and his accompanying book "Tying Dry Flies".

that is dead-on rock solid advice.
I can't agree more.

as a matter of fact I've said it hundreds of times.

mgj

#10 CapeBSalar

CapeBSalar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 10:49 PM

Thanks everybody, keep the suggestions coming, see what kind of a consensus I can build here. The reason I'm asking is I'm going to have a "get started on the right foot" section on my website for our association and I'd like to have a couple good beginner books at all different budget levels available for this section.

Thanks again for the tips.

Damian
Canadian Fly Tyer's

Damian's Flytyer.ca Profile

Damian's Classic Salmon Fly Website

Fly Tyer's Daily Blog

"Neither is there a right way nor a wrong way to tie a fly---sometimes just a better way."
J. Edson Leonard (Preface to his 1988 Edition of Flies, 1950, A.S. Barnes, NY)

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." Henry David Thoreu

riversedgeflyfishing@ns.sympatico.ca

#11 picketpin

picketpin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 12:11 AM

this are older books Fly Tying by Helen Shaw,Master Flytying Guide, buy Art Flicks

How to tie freshwater flies by kenneth bay

TL> Mike
Who says money cant buy happiness (see my new fly rod and reel)

#12 appalachian angler (tn.)

appalachian angler (tn.)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 12:37 AM

"The Art of Fly Tying" by John van Vliet
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies"

-- Bob Lawless.

#13 outdoorguy3

outdoorguy3

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 12:48 AM

QUOTE (mgj @ Feb 18 2005, 10:38 PM)
QUOTE (McManus @ Feb 18 2005, 09:53 PM)
That said, if I was sending something to someone who's only help would be the book, in purchasing hooks and materials, equipment, and learning to tie: Hands down 2 books.  Randall Kaufmann "Tying Nymphs" and his accompanying book "Tying Dry Flies".

that is dead-on rock solid advice.
I can't agree more.

as a matter of fact I've said it hundreds of times.

mgj

I have to agree....can't beat the Kaufmann books!

Ralph biggrin.gif

#14 Jayhawk Jeff

Jayhawk Jeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 01:50 AM

Guys, seriously, the man asked abou the best book for beginners. While the Benchside Reference may be the bible, It is not the best for beginners. If I'm a beginner, I'm not dropping a hundred on my first tying book. Th Skip Morris book is what I learned to tie from on a modest vise. Too often, inquiries about what would be best for beginners turn into a string of endorsements. "My vise is the way to go".

#15 maddog48

maddog48

I Am My River's Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 04:55 AM

It's too bad that Al Campbell's series on FAOL isn't a book. He has some great stuff there. I have to agree with Jeff. There can be some pretty intimidating stuff in the Reference. Kaufmann's books make for a good read. Dave Hughes' Essential Trout Flies has some good stuff, also. Some pretty decent explanations and directions on patterns that go from basic to the more difficult.

Mike
Procrastinate now. Don't put it off.