Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Best Beginner Fly Tying Book

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#181 marc.k4zmb

marc.k4zmb

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:29 AM

I like Charlie Cravens book as he explains, with pictures illustrating each step. He begins the book with the techniques of tying on thread, the use of dubbing, etc. 

#182 bass master

bass master

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:03 AM

New to fly tying myself. As I read all the post here on this topic. Im going with Fatman's advice on the online... Fly Anglers On Line fly tying series. ITS FREE! and at has advice for the beginner to advanced. Take a look at it.  http://www.flyanglersonline.com/ There is alto of great info here.  

#183 Sandan

Sandan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:29 AM

http://www.charliesf...ybox/detail.cfm

book_basic_fly_tying_large.jpg

It's really good

#184 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:24 PM

Check out forum members, and friends, Al &Gretchen Beatty's recent e-books. Textbook quality instructions with electro convenience, at low costs, free to Amazon prime members.. Very good resources for new and seasoned tyers...

Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Established: Circa "Whenever you see anything I have, ... that you must buy!"

#185 William Turner

William Turner

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:06 AM

I have to agree, these are great books with great instructions, Later on I would get the bench side reference though. Can't  say enough about Skip Morris and Kaufman books. Spent the last week thumbing through them and am still learning new things and brushing up on some other techniques.

#186 William Turner

William Turner

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:09 AM

Skip Morris and the Kaufman books. Great starters, am still learning stuff from them.

#187 Tom Cummings

Tom Cummings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:23 PM

Books are pretty much outdated in this age. Most use YouTube instruction and if new use hook sizes too big to get the feel and progress to smaller. I own books for the sake of patterns times and fish but learning is from seeing and doing.

#188 bass master

bass master

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:23 PM

I have to disagree that books are outdated at this age. My first book I bought was The Complete Book Of Fly Tying by, Eric Leiser. Since then I added a quit a bit more. Like the Trout and Salmon Fly Index, by Dick Surette. Has 90 color flies and tells the history and origin. Take the Adams fly? Leonard Halladay, of Mayfield, Michigan in 1922 first tied this fly and named it in honor of a good friend, Mr. C. F. Adams an ardent angler on the Boardman River in Michigan. Or a Grasshopper, There has to be a 1,000  ways to tie one. The first one appeared in 1653 in The Complete Angler by Walton. You don't find this stuff on the web.  I do watch all the YouTube vids also. And have a laptop right by my bench. But reading from different great tiers. You learn a lot more than just going at it.