Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Lucian.Vasies

Share your peeping caddis

Hi guys,

I'm curious how are your peeping caddis. Years and years I used this fly. During time I modified the hackle position, dubbing texture, materials , profile and so on until I obtained the bellow model.

tactical-peeping-caddis-fly-tying-blog.j

I really love it, very easy to tie, durable and I consider it a trout extractor :) Where is a super fast current or a deep pool I put this fly and I catch a fish :)

Upper right hand corner, larva ...."my caddis life cycle"...Dated pic sorry. Need to revise my cycle.

103_0551.JPG

Discovered lots better adult from guys at Henry's Fork, Idaho last summer but this is getting off topic...

IMG_0482.png

and here is the light version of the dark one:

peeping-caddis-1.jpg

Somebody told me why I put partridge. And asked me why I use so big hackle, there are no proportions there. I told him that he is right, the insect have just a big dark brown-black head and dark small legs. But I noticed that this peeping caddis catch more than a better imitation. Probably because the bright colors attract the fish, probably because the long Partridge legs work interesting in water :)

cheers

Lucian

Lucian

Very nice! What's the dubbing? Any particular reason to use a jig hook instead of straight shank?

thanks, Bob H

Hi Bob,

- dubbing is a mix of different natural and synthetic fibers: hare mask, squirrel, cricetus and purple, blue, white, red and green synthetic ones.

- I use jig hooks because I have less snags between rocks. I use short nymphing technique and I like to play the nymph where I presume that fish are ( I play them and jigg them like we do when we fish with lures for bass - for example )

Thanks

Lucian