Fly Tying
iso18

how good of a tyer r u really and how do you feel about your tying whe

WHAT KIND OF TYER DO U CONSIDER YOURSELF 2B  

596 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

was just wondering,because i am constantly critquing my flies when i try new techniques and often get frustrated with the whole outcome.but then come tommorrow,i will be right back at it with a different attitude trying to improve on my shortcomings.

shane

I went with "A decent enough tyer to catch fish and finding yourself critiquing your work and half the time thinking there is room for improvement"...but I have to wonder how others would rate our abilities in a blind test. I could be greatly over-confident in my skills, or riffleriversteelheadslayer may be over-humble about his.

I don't feel that there is anything I can't tie, but occassionally I have "bad hand days" Cheers, Futzer.

simply put...if they'll catch the fish, they're good enough. I see too many people obsessed with proportions, and how it looks. Is it the fish, or the fisherman whos' eye your tryin to catch? half my flies look like a piccaso, but who cares. The fish sure dont, and to me, thats what matters most.

I have only been tying for less than a year so at this point I am a crappy tyer just happy tying flies that just catch fish.

I tie to catch fish. I have had other folks tell me they like my flies.

MY PTN have longer tails and thinner boies than commerically tied flies.

I use red,m gold and silver mylar for wing cases for flashbacks.

I have use peacock, biots and turkey wing feather barbs for wing cases also.

Crappie

I'm with Futzer on this one, good days bad days, also, I'm not a fast tier, and not necessarily a slow fly tier, I guess I'd have to say I'm a half fast tier B)

I usually don't tie my beard into the fly I'm working on. What more could you ask for?

A more serious answer:

I tie ugly flies for fishing, and I can do a lot better if I take all the time I need to do a nice looking fly.

I'm good enough to wish that I had a magnifying glass and perfect light, so that I can do better flies when I'm gonna take pictures for the web.

I'm not good enough to be satisfied with my flies when I take pictures of them with macro, and look at the result.

But I still upload my flies to forums sometimes, if I think there's an interesting idea in the fly.

Tying ugly flies would never make me stop. I think it's in our nature as fly tiers to never stop.

If I'm unhappy with the result, Ill just try again. If I'm happy with the result, I'll try to make it even better. If I think that I made the perfect fly, I'll reconsider what's perfect, and start all over with a fly that I'm not happy with.

I consider myself a good tyer because i can do anything in the book and then some if i wanted to and i like to learn easier new techniques and the hard ones frustrate me SOMETIMES and i do have my goo days where i can tie anything and my bad days where i can barely fire off a decent wooly bugger. It all just depends on the mood im in

Picked decent, but do critique alot. and wind up picking apart atleast the first two of a new pattern.

Teck

Im almost as good as Oatka!

I hear Oatka is slacking lately, something about too much fast food and Burger King Nightmares, Hmmm Sorry, could not help myself. Bad Futzer, Bad.

i have actually cought fish on more fly's with flaws than ones that look picture perfect, i think fish are more apt to strike on flies that appear to be hurt or damaged. atleast that makes me feel better when a fly does not come out perfect

Awwwww . . come on Day 5, none of us are as good as Oatka!! He gives us all something to aspire to and I for one need that!!