Fly Tying
TIER

The Big Book of Flies and How to Tie Them; Part One: Dry Flies

Never heard of it? Looked it up and coulden't find it? That's because it hasen't come out yet. And you know who is writeing it? Me. I need your help with this, beacause we all know that there are too many flies for one person to remeber. I will give you credit, and send you a free copy. I have already gotten the Adams, Rakkelhanen, Hi bug caddis (my own recipe), Goodard and Angleo Sweidsh Caddis, the elk hair caddis, and the bug.

I think you will find that several people have beat you to it. Of course you could do one book covering virtually every fly known but it would be too heavy to lift. Printing and shipping costs would probably be prohibitive.

I agree with Dave; you'll probably want to narrow your focus a bit for your project to be viable. I see from your bio that you specialize in dry flies for grayling. That's a species that doesn't get fished too much in the lower 48--why not a book on just that?

Impressive undertaking for a 13 year old !!! wink.png

I am sure your insights to procedures and materials will be welcomed by all the old fogeys currently tying flies. tongue.png

I don't tie "dry flies" ... preferring poppers and foam spiders for my top water presentations. But I honestly wish you the best of luck in your endeavor. Based on your starting post ... be sure to use spell check, often.

I have already collected over 120 books on flies and how to tie them. The very first one has over 5000 patterns in it. Before you begin, do some research on all the other fly tying books. When you have read 20 or 30 other books, then see what new information you can contribute.

I don't know of many 13 year olds that's going to listen to the advice of old fogies with years of tying experience.

I was 13 years old a long long time ago and thought I knew everything :)

You'll need to do tedious research on dry fly patterns and polish up on your photography skills.

The Adams dry fly is probably the most written and published fly patterns ever. What more can be written about it.

However if this is a project you want to do then go for it. Go big or go home :)

Impressive undertaking for a 13 year old !!! wink.png

I am sure your insights to procedures and materials will be welcomed by all the old fogeys currently tying flies. tongue.png

I don't tie "dry flies" ... preferring poppers and foam spiders for my top water presentations. But I honestly wish you the best of luck in your endeavor. Based on your starting post ... be sure to use spell check, often.

Foam spiders are dry flies, and I don't know how to tie them. Plz fill me in.

I don't know of many 13 year olds that's going to listen to the advice of old fogies with years of tying experience.

I was 13 years old a long long time ago and thought I knew everything smile.png

You'll need to do tedious research on dry fly patterns and polish up on your photography skills.

The Adams dry fly is probably the most written and published fly patterns ever. What more can be written about it.

However if this is a project you want to do then go for it. Go big or go home smile.png

I am not taking photos of the flies, I'm drawing them.

Good luck with your project TIER, back when I was 13 we had to run past the T-Rex to just reach our school. Or maybe it was a dog? I can't remember-

Foam Spider - Chell's version

Foam Spider recipe.jpg

Foam Spider SBS.jpg

But, I believe purists will agree, it's not a "dry fly".

You just missed having the GREATEST birth date ever, by two days !!!

???