Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Rainbow Warrior

This fly was originally created by Lance Egan, and is one of the best attractor patterns Ive ever fished. It's flashy, bright, and effective. I love fishing this as my lead fly, then drop to something a bit more realistic behind it. My favorite flies to drop behind this are the RS2, Pheasant tail, or black beauty. All of which can mimic midge or Baetis pupa and emergers quite well.

So this fly can also be tied with a glass bead, and I believe originally it was created this way. However I like using brass beads here because it gives the fly a bit more weight, and I really like using this as my lead fly, to help other flies sink better. The flashiness of this fly really helps attract trout up to it, but many times I find they will strike the tailing fly instead of the rainbow warrior. This does not mean its not effective, just the opposite. It is very effective to get the fish moving out of their hole, to come take a look, but they elect to strike the less visible, and more realistic fly trailing it once they are close.

As always I am listing all the materials used on this fly.
Hook: Firehole sticks #317 in size 18
Thread: Veevus 10/0 in Red
Tail: Natural Pheasant Tail Fibers
Abdomen/wing case: Large sized Pearl Tinsel
Dubbing: Tan Laser Dubbing
Head Cement: Hard as Hull Original

Good winter/cold water fly. However I prefer the Egan version by using the rainbow sow scud dubbing for the thorax which completes the "rainbow".

Yeah, I believe he originally used the rainbow dubbing for sure. But commonly tied now adays, what you find in fly shops at least, is the tan dubbing. Not sure why the change. At least in the fly shops around me.