Fly Tying
breambuster

"My Trout Box Needs Help" Swap

THIS SWAP IS FULL!!!

This is going to be a trout fly swap for 12 people including me, the Swapmeister. Each swapper will tie up at least 11 flies & you won't be getting one of your own back. Most people tie up at least 12 and I get to keep the extra for doing the job of Swapmeister. The first 12 people to reply with "I'm in" or equivalent will be added to the roster. Each swapper will send their flies to me at the address I will PM to you when requested, with a SASE and toe tags attached to your flies. I have just begun to do some fly fishing in the Chattooga River that runs along the SC/GA border in Oconee County, SC. I have tons of bluegill flies, but not that many for trout fishing. The booklet that I have from the SCDNR shows flies in sizes from 12 to 16, mostly with a very few 18's and smaller thrown in. Which is good for me, since I'm not as young as I once was and reading glasses aren't the same as being young! The patterns for this swap, then, will be Eastern or Southern Appalachian patterns. They can be dry flies, emergers, nymphs, soft hackles, etc. You guys know what I need for my fly box better than I do, so you make the call. But I would like standard patterns that are proven winners. Material substitutions are always appropriate.

The due date will be September 30 and hopefully all the flies will be here by then. If anyone hasn't gotten their flies to me by the due date, I will send 2 reminders, several days apart by PM & if there is no reply, that swapper will be dropped from the list, & the rest of the flies returned to the participating swappers. But everyone will have plenty of time to choose a pattern, purchase the materials, and get their flies in the mail. If all the flies are here early, we can close the swap early. So there is no need for anyone to be late. Get busy and get your flies in now, instead of waiting until the last minute and let's have a great swap!

Take care

BB

1. Swapmeister - October Caddis - Completed

2. Netabrookie - Carolina Wulff using Howler monkey hair, muskox eye brows, Bigfoot toe jam and ferret whiskers! - Received

3. Vicrider - Spun Deer Hair Pattern! - Received

(Just kidding, guys!)

4. Shoebop - TBD - Received

5. Wschmitt3 - Soft Hackle Pheasant Tail - Received

6. ScottK - Howell's Trip Saver - Received

7. Psychoprince - TBD

8. Chase Creek - Soft Hackle Hair's Ear - Received

9. Cannon4X - #8 Tellico Nymph - Received

10. Fishingbobnelson - Grey Fox Variant - Received

11. Jimboha - TBD - Received

12. Djtrout - Black Nosed Dace - Received

THIS SWAP IS FULL!!!

Breambuster,

Put me in for a size 14 (or 16 depending on hook supply) soft hackle pheasant tail nymph.

-Will

In please. Don't know what to tie yet, but I'll look something up that fits the bill (I hope!)

ScottK & Psychoprince, you are both in. Glad to have you guys sign up for my next swap. It's great to have you jump in on this one. It's going to be a good one!

Take care

BB

Sure, you can play, Chase Creek, and glad to have you. It's really good to be swapping with you again. It's been WAY too long!

Take care

BB

Cannon4X and Fishingbobnelson, you are both in, and glad to have you both. Looking forward to a great swap here. Maybe I should have set this one up for more swappers?!? It's filling up FAST. But I don't like to add more swappers after others have signed up expecting to tie only 12 flies.

Take care

BB

BB, we had talked about swap numbers a couple of years ago, when there was a run of swaps with 20 participants (for some reason). Generally agreed that that many was pretty intimidating for less experienced tyers, and would put them off from signing up. Since swaps are meant to be a learning thing, i think 11-12 swappers is about optimum, and most everyone can handle tying that number. Just my $.02. And you're right - well run swaps seem to fill up fast.

Netabrookie - I will using the urine stained hair from the belly of a Northern Bhutanese Yak, obtained from a fly shop in Tibet.