Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Swampfoxforeman

NC native Brookie rod length

Many factors. If you have a lot of overhead tree cover, I would move towards a shorter rod under 9'. Maybe down to 7 1/2'. But for different types of fishing, overhead casting may not be as much of a factor.

I've got a 5'6" 3/4 weight that Steeldrifter made for me. I love it for casting under docks and overhangs. And I can reach out almost as far as I can with my 9' 5 weight.

And it's a blast when I get a fish on !!!

Swamp,

For the last 40 years I've been fishing either a 7 1/2 foot or a 9 foot rod in the Smokies even in dense rhododendron cover. The longer rod enables longer bow and arrow casts (frequent) and shorter more effect roll casts (infrequently unless there are open areas).

Wild NC Brookies are easy to catch as long as you don't spook them. If you walk up to the edge of the stream, don't expect to catch many. I stand back at least 6 to 8 feet from the stream and am often on my belly or knees...rarely do I stand up. Heck, a lot of the time you can't stand up! LOL.

They also hole-up in the most difficult to get to places. Rarely will you catch a wild Brookie out of a pool in open areas of a stream. They prefer cover.

Thank y’all I have been looking at getting a moonshine midnight special in 3 weight. I have my 9’ 5 weights, so I’m leaning towards a 7.5’ in the 3 weight.

What I think is, you could have Steeldrifter build you a custom rod for 1/2 to 2/3 of the price.

DrLogik pretty much typed my post for me. As someone who has also been chasing native specks in NC for 40 years or more, I say go at least 8 feet. 7 1/2 at the very shortest. I hate a short rod, even on tiny rhodo tunnel creeks. With all the cross currents and rocks in the small creeks, you have to keep line off the water, or your fly will start dragging as soon as it lands. A short rod makes it almost impossible to keep much line off the water. Specks aren't hard to catch, unless you spook them or have a dragging fly. That in itself will often send them under a rock. You are often not doing a lot of casting on a small creek, more flipping/roll casting and bow and arrow, sometimes just dangling a couple feet of tippet off the rod tip and poking it back under a rhododendron limb; and a longer rod gives you more reach with those. My main small-stream rod is an 8' 3 weight, but I often use a 10' 3 weight.

A 10' 3 weight works great here in the GSMNP especially if you are using nymphs. The rhododendrons and all the other brush has never been a problem for me as the 10' rod can extend past it.

Joe