Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Crackaig

Do we really need...

... The "Quote" button?

These boards are a kind of conversation. Imagine how difficult it would be if you were having a conversation and every second person quoted, in full, and with illustrations, someone else's point, before adding a one or two word comment.

Yes there are valid uses for the quote button. That isn't how it is generally used here. It is a rare and wonderful thing to see it used constructively. Usually what we get is...

Blah, Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,

Grey%20Card_zpspyqzbwav.jpg

Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,

Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,

Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,

Sydney.

Nice.

Wouldn't it be just so much better to write...

Nice Sydney.

... And save us all having to scroll through Sydney's post? We have seen his post where he put it in the first place, we don't need to see it all again, and again, and again, ad nauseam.

Just today I have read someone in a thread suggest that someone use this site as a reference. Nothing wrong with that, in fact it is a really good thing to suggest... or it would be if it wasn't so full of all the inane and unnecessary repetitions.

The point has now been proven that people here will not use the quote button in a reasonable way, so why not just disable it? The quote facility on the tool bar can still be used for those few who wish to use it constructively. The lazy, who really don't have much to say, so bulk out their posts by quoting other peoples posts in their entirety, don't need a tool to facilitate their indolence.

Apologies to anyone called Sydney, I tried to find a name I hadn't seen.

Cheers,

C.

p.s. It would not be the height of wit to quote this post in your reply. Quote from it by all means.

C.

p.s. It would not be the height of wit to quote this post in your reply. Quote from it by all means.

C.

Actually it would, C.

You'd get upset ... well, MORE upset, so I won't.

you should post this in every category on the forum site

too many people abuse the quote function especially when they are responding to the poster directly above their post

please find the 'reply' button and use it instead of the 'quote' button

cant you just ask Charlie how he made the wings on his fly without using the 'quote' function?

if the admins deleted the 'quote' button posters would just use the cut/copy and paste method and the repetitious blather returns

I think the main problem is: Most people don't realize you can go into the quotation block, and delete everything you don't want to respond to. Also, I have found, sometimes, when I go in and modify the quote, it won't let me post regularly below it. It just continues the quote box with anything I type.

I agree with flytire in the education factor. Let everyone know how to use the quote function.

Problem there is, most people won't read the directions. I.E. how many members have gone through all the TOS information?

fortunately the quote block doesn't even work for me, so if I want to quote, I just type the quoted statement.

But I agree that Crack's post should appear in every forum, especially in the fly of the month thread.

But I agree that Crack's post should appear in every forum, especially in the fly of the month thread.

Fly of the month thread?

February (or whatever) flies from the vise... It would be many pages shorter by the end of the month if so many big posts didn't get repeated over and over

February (or whatever) flies from the vise..

Ohhhh okay makes sense now. But I do agree. I also think there is a time and place for quotes and we should keep them.

I'm not a web guru, but maybe there's a way to minimize their size... if that caused a person's reply not to be accepted until he/she whittled it down some, maybe that would catch on and folks would stop trying to quote a whole string.

Or maybe we could all get over it and leave things the way they are. I mean be honest, is it killing you to see something more than once?!?!?

Not killing me, pointless and annoying, but not killing me. You wouldn't do it in verbal conversation, why do it in a written one? It is killing the usefulness of this site as reference material. Having a section on the site for help and suggestions suggests improvement is being sought. The ability to quote would still be available, just not the lazy quote button, by disabling it the site would be improved.

Cheers,

C.

"It is killing the usefulness of this site as reference material."

I doubt this statement. I really don't see anyone looking at a thread, seeing multiple quotes, and deciding, "Wow! I'll NEVER come back to this site!"

Many times, the quote button IS needed ... as there are sufficient posts between the one you are replying to, and yours. I would rather look at a series of quote boxes than to page back through several posts to figure out which one is being referenced.

BTW ... how DID you do that original quote box on the first post of the thread???

BTW ... how DID you do that original quote box on the first post of the thread???

In between the "code" <> and "twitter" t buttons lies the "quote" button... looks like the "comment" button on Disgracebook

13419546731934877666Square%20Speech%20Bu

ad nauseam..

C.

Actually it would, C.

You'd get upset ... well, MORE upset, so I won't.

Sooooo tempting.... tongue.png