Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
matt duarte

custom rotary tying vise!

well crap i had a long post written up and i messed up by pressing (Ctrl V) instead of copying it so ill keep it short and sweet.. ive been using the stock vise that comes with the tying kit at bass pro shops... not wanting to spend 300 bones on a rotary i thought id try and make my own... i used the sotck clamps from the stock vise and went from there... i used a big bolt for the main shaft and a long nut to make it a "rotary".. and it actually works! and since its a nut and bolt it allows me to place the bobbin in the bobbin holder and simply turn the vise 360* and it will thread the hook foward and backward! well heres the pic.. i still need to weld the stand on so i can put it in the stock "C" clamps but you get the idea... let me know what you think if you have a ny question just ask!.

customflyvise.jpg

thanks oldhat! ill be finishing it up to day making the base for it.. not sure if i want the c-clamp style or the other style yet... might just end up using the stock c-clamp to make it easy... but a custom aluminum base would be awesome!

Very cool! Since you got it this far I would keep a strainght shaft so you can switch back and forth from a clamp base to a screw collet on a pedestal base as the situation may require.