Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CSB1

Rolltop Desk

Been thinking about looking into getting a Rolltop Desk. I know some of you use them, is there anything special a guy should look for? What about size, any one size considered better than another?

Thanks, CSB

Just make sure the roll top part is big enough that your vise fits. And don't be in too big of a rush or you'll risk paying too much. I looked and looked for a few months and ended up finding one in great condition for $40 I think. Most were listed around $200.

Anything with fixed compartments is going to cause compromise and less then optimum storage. Roll top desks are a thing of the past and have gone the way of the phonograph, camera film and tube TV's. If your buying used don't spend a lot. People want top dollar for them but usually only get peanuts because they have little demand. I see them routinely go for under 40 bucks at auction.

a roll top too many small drawers will be like having afly vest with 20 pockets you will never find things easy only good thing about a roll top is you can cover your mess.

Well, I gotta say, I really like my roll top. Everything is arranged in front of me vertically where I can see it and reach it. Before I had a roll top, everything was on the horizontal, not easy to see or reach because something else was on the desk in front of it.

Different strokes.

Anything with fixed compartments is going to cause compromise and less then optimum storage. Roll top desks are a thing of the past and have gone the way of the phonograph, camera film and tube TV's. If your buying used don't spend a lot. People want top dollar for them but usually only get peanuts because they have little demand. I see them routinely go for under 40 bucks at auction.

But by your logic, bamboo fly rods, Shakespeare Wonderod glass fly rods, Medalist 1400 series fly reels and SA Air Cell fly lines are also things of the past. I personally like and use all of those things and their past is my present. I think roll top desks are pretty cool and would make a great fly tying bench and I wouldn't mind having one if it would fit in our little cabin home on the mountain in Tennessee.

Joe

I actually don't use mine for storage per se. I have lots of other storage. I use mine to keep the things I use on a daily basis close to me, visible and within reach. Otherwise I'd have all that stuff in a pile on the desk in front of me.

Don't make the mistake of getting a fall front desk instead. It defeats the object as you have to clear everything away. Also get one you can reach all the storage from your seat. I was lumbered with completely the wrong kind of desk by a well meaning friend. Really is a pain, will be firewood soon.

Cheers,

C.

I really like glass rods because when I find a good one available, I can buy it for 10 or 20 bucks! But I really like finding older reels for a good price, becAuse sometimes the line is still in good shape and that's always a good score.

But by your logic, bamboo fly rods, Shakespeare Wonderod glass fly rods, Medalist 1400 series fly reels and SA Air Cell fly lines are also things of the past. I personally like and use all of those things and their past is my present. I think roll top desks are pretty cool and would make a great fly tying bench and I wouldn't mind having one if it would fit in our little cabin home on the mountain in Tennessee.

Joe

Not only by my logic but also by fact. Bamboo, glass, air cells, medalists have all gone the way of the dinosaur. Fact is you like them for nostalgia not because they are better then modern alternatives. Nothing wrong with that at all and there are old things that I prefer as well, like my boat. I have no doubt there is still a small market for roll tops out there just like there is for bamboo, glass and medalists. Theres just not a big enough roll top market to command a big expense which was my tip. I'm not saying don't buy one, I'm simply saying they can be had for cheaper then dirt.

I’ve had a roll top for seven years now and like it. The first thing I did was convert my vise from clamp mounting to pedestal mount. Regarding size, I like one with drawers on both sides so this would be considered large. Also if you plan on closing it up, get one with a higher top in order to accommodate your vice height when closed. I also use a gray or white background board for contrast. Natural wood looks nice but offers little contrast when you’re tying.

Some of the more modern desks were meant to accommodate computer monitors. While nice, unless you plan on mounting a monitor or Ipad, this void is a waste of space. Regarding compartments, they will be small so don’t think you’re going to be storing fur, skins or feathers up top. Mine has very few drawers but lots of open compartments. These are great for storing things you may use often, (hooks, dubbing, glues), and they will be in plain sight.

My desk drawers house large plastic containers for skins, furs and hair. That said, I still have a small mountain next to the desk that contains feathers, beads and additional dubbing. I’ve attached some photos to give you an idea of my set up. Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

Tye%20Beench-L.jpg

Desk2-L.jpg

Desk3-L.jpg