Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Who here recommends Steeldrifter's rods

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,980 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:20 PM

Still all stuffed up from the cold I had so felt like that before the compliments lol

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#17 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,917 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 01:07 PM

laugh.png

I mean ... sad.png ... sorry you still have cold symptoms.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#18 TIER

TIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:39 PM

Awesome! Steeldrifter, what are the prices of a 6wt, an 8wt, a 12wt, and a 3wt? Also, Mikechell, you are wrong. This is steeldrifter  after all the complements. 

Attached File  steeldrifters thoughts.png   158.1KB   0 downloads

1. The captain is always right

2. It's the deckhand's fault

#19 Mlandry

Mlandry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 03:52 PM

I own a one weight rod that Steve built for me and its one of my favorite rods. I fish a certain river in western Ma. that requires 7x tippet quite often

and I find that I get much fewer breakoffs with the 1 weight than a 4 weight I own.

Mike

#20 Swampfoxforeman

Swampfoxforeman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 04:24 PM

I have my second rod Steve build on the way. If that tells you anything.

#21 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 04:49 PM

I now have 3 rods from Steve and delighted. Really gets your wishes nailed down over a few emails. Would and do recommend him to lots of folk.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#22 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,980 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:24 PM

Awesome! Steeldrifter, what are the prices of a 6wt, an 8wt, a 12wt, and a 3wt?

Honestly there are way too many variables to give a price just based on that. Depends what sort of length, number of pieces, reel seat type, etc etc. But to give you a ballpark I always try to give better prices to FTF guys here so just as a round about ... somewhere between $145-$175 usually on most average size rods. Then 12wt's the blanks are a bit more costly and the reel seats are a bit bigger as well as most times in that size they are used in salt so guides and seat need to be corrosion resistant. So once you get into that size range you're usually looking up over $200+ range.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#23 Peartree

Peartree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:13 PM

I own one of Steve's 3wt nymphing rods and am very happy with it. The next rod I buy will come from him as well.

#24 The Mad Duck

The Mad Duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:29 AM

I've got 4 and counting. 2, 3wts 2,5wts..the 8 Wts are next

We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About

#25 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,861 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 03:58 PM

Quality blanks and quality work on them. With rods as good as any selling for double his prices to members you could never go wrong.

#26 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:52 AM

I have a 9'10 4wt it's a nice trout rod I wouldn't want to go lighter unless I was already set up with something that weight or heavier.

I have an 8wt Steve built for me it's great, very well done.

#27 MuskyFlyGuy

MuskyFlyGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 02:08 PM

I have an 8, 10, 12, and a spinning rod from Steve.  Steve really understands flyfishing and rodbuilding, so each rod is a joy to use.  I strongly recommend him.