Fly Tying
McFlyLures

Rod building, easier than you might think

I know, this isn't about fly tying, but its definitely similar. catching a fish on a rod you built yourself is just as rewarding (if not more rewarding) than catching a fish on a fly you tied.

I haven't ever built a fly rod before, and this turned out pretty good. I thought I would give it a try. Let me know what you guys think. I know already of a few mistakes I made, but the rod came out looking great anyway! In the video I show the unboxing, grip and but section instillation, rod wrapping, guide placement, and epoxying of the rod. I bought this kit from the Hook & Hackle, and they sell some really nice products for a great price! Also they were very helpful with my questions.

You can get this exact kit at:

this post belongs in the 'fly fishing' (or even the 'FTF videos') category where everybody posts about fly rods and fly fishing gear

moderator please move

Ok so I really want to tie a glass rod. I have been wanting a really slow action 3 or 4 wt rod. Something for dry flies in small streams where the trout are not too large. Also, I occasionally do some perch and bluegill fishing (if the bass bite at my local lake isn't hitting that day) and having a light weight rod with me will make the bluegill fishing much more fun! HAHA

Anyway, what do you guys recommend for a 7'9"-8'5" 3 or 4 wt glass rod? I would really like to find a 4 piece, but I don't think they make glass rods that way. So at least a 3 piece so I can stick it in a back pack. There is a small stream that takes some hiking to get to. I want the best possible quality for the blank. I hear good things about the diamondback glass rods... Some people love the lamiglas. I want to get your opinions.

There are a number of good glass blanks out there, I've built on most of them. Give me just a bit to finish up a few things and I will shoot you a Pm later tonight with some links and info.

Steve

There are a number of good glass blanks out there, I've built on most of them. Give me just a bit to finish up a few things and I will shoot you a Pm later tonight with some links and info.

Steve

Oh sweet! Thanks! :)

I am currently building a rod turner, epoxy dryer and cork handle lathe jigs for my first build. Almost done so I can get started.

I am doing a 11' switch rod.

What thread wrap coating was used in this video, what product line was it from ?

I never had the motorized rod turner, I built my own rod building jig a couple of decades ago now. But not having the motor turner I rather avoided epoxy thread wrap finishes. I noticed in this video presented here that the epoxy came out pretty smooth without a motor and am wondering what product was used. I used, years ago now, Flex Cote a few times and didn't care for the result particularly, actually preferring the look of several coats of lacquer or Sally Hansen ( basically the same thing) which produces a flatter or more level look to the wraps.. There are several affordable motors around these days but I have not taken the plunge non the less as yet. Still, I'm sure the epoxy is more durable.

What thread wrap coating was used in this video, what product line was it from ?

I never had the motorized rod turner, I built my own rod building jig a couple of decades ago now. But not having the motor turner I rather avoided epoxy thread wrap finishes. I noticed in this video presented here that the epoxy came out pretty smooth without a motor and am wondering what product was used. I used, years ago now, Flex Cote a few times and didn't care for the result particularly, actually preferring the look of several coats of lacquer or Sally Hansen ( basically the same thing) which produces a flatter or more level look to the wraps.. There are several affordable motors around these days but I have not taken the plunge non the less as yet. Still, I'm sure the epoxy is more durable.

It was a kit, and the line of epoxies was "thread master". I think I stated the name in the video... Here is a link to where I got the kit.

http://store.hookhack.com/mobile/Roddancer-Threadmaster-Epoxy-High-Build-Finish-Kit/productinfo/GLUERDD/

I'm not sure if it's the epoxy, or that I did a half turn every 15 minutes for 2 hours. It still didn't come out perfect, and there is some bulkyness to one side. But hard to tell, and only very little. This is my first rod build, so I'm not familiar with the other epoxies to know if it's that the epoxy is better, or me turning it helped.

Prybis has pointed to a great article. Just printed off a new copy as the original I had is spotted with epoxy.

Edit: Practice on a piece of dowel or a scrap of an old rod. Rod Building Forum has some great suppliers/sponsors. You dance with the one that brought you.

Prybis has pointed to a great article. Just printed off a new copy as the original I had is spotted with epoxy.

Edit: Practice on a piece of dowel or a scrap of an old rod. Rod Building Forum has some great suppliers/sponsors. You dance with the one that brought you.

Yes it seems to be very informative. I read it, and think it will help me

What do you mean "you dance with the one that brought you?"