Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Finally gonna happen

It's been a very rough year for me. As many of you know I lost my Sister unexpectedly at only 51 yrs old in May, then I had planned to take some time to myself on a 10 day fishing trip in June because being alone in the woods and on the river has always been a very healing thing for my soul. But as luck would have it when time for that trip came the rain pretty much ruined it by dumping buckets on Michigan raising the rivers to an unfishable level for weeks so I had to postpone it.

That actually ended up working out to be a good thing though now. A week from today I'll be starting the trip and as things worked out I'm so caught up with my business work and other things that I can afford to take a much longer trip. Going to be spending about 20 days alone on the river doing nothing but fly fishing for trout and enjoying myself. Won't change what happened with my Sister, but I've always found being alone on a river is the most healing thing for me so I really need this and finally looking forward to something positive for the first time all year. Staying at a little country motel right at the river that has wifi so I'll probably be able to post some pics during the trip

Solitude is a good thing for people like us. I think most anglers find time alone, with nothing but nature for company, is always cathartic.

Be sure to hoot and holler loudly when you catch a fish. A few primal yells helps, but it also keeps other anglers away, as they think you might be going crazy.

A time to recharge & re-invigorate the soul. Reminisce about the times you had with your Sister, and have a cry or two in the solitude of your surroundings. Nature has a way of both healing and putting things in perspective.

Enjoy your journey, & we'll all be here when you return.

Enjoy! 20 days on the Au Sable! That should put you at the edge of the salmon run off the big lake, if the rains come that is.

Rocco