Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Green Caddis hook order

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LGBIII

LGBIII

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:44 AM

I purchased a few packages of hooks from GCO over a month ago and still haven't received them, and I am unable to contact anyone about my issue. If anyone has any info about the hold up I would appreciate it.

#2 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,227 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:40 AM

good luck getting in touch with anyone or even receiving your order

try allen fly fishing for hooks. delivery every time

I speak 3 languages; English, profanity and sarcasm

Norm

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

#3 phg

phg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:05 AM

GCO, the principal sponsor of this site, is pretty much a one-man outfit run by Will Mullis (Smalliehunter).  To send him an email, address it to will@hatchesmagazine.com.  Sometimes I think he's juggling too many balls, and sometimes drops one, but he has always made things right.

The hooks are pretty much the same quality as Allen's (I think they get them from the same supplier.)  If the item is on hand, he usually ships pretty quickly, but if he is out of a size or style, he will hold the order, waiting for the next couple of shipments.  He doesn't appear to have much insight or control as to when an item might ship from China, nor how long it might get tied up in customs. 

#4 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:08 AM

J.Stockard delivers and they even answer the telephone and they have their own line of relatively inexpensive hooks. I've heard too many stories about GCO to even bother with them, unfortunately.

John 8:29 KJV   And he that sent me is with me: the Father has not left me alone;

#5 LGBIII

LGBIII

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:03 PM

I appreciate the info and maybe he will get my order to me relatively quick. Thank you.

#6 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

Will also owns this forum and has managed to keep it going all these years. He's a good guy, but as utyer has said, may have too many things going on. I've bought hooks & fly boxes from GCO a few times, and they always arrived, although sometimes not quickly. I've never been disappointed with the products.

Yes, Allen & J Stockard are also very good alternatives for hooks, beads & coneheads, plus J Stockard carries many other tying supplies. 

#7 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,227 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:09 AM

also take a look at the fly shop hooks

http://catalog.thefl...s/the-fly-shop/

I speak 3 languages; English, profanity and sarcasm

Norm

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

#8 josephcsylvia

josephcsylvia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:33 AM

youll get them, sometimes its just slow!!!

#9 McGnat

McGnat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:09 AM

Try Wapsi lightning Strike hooks. Their dry fly hook is fully comparable to the Tiemco 100 in quality, sharpness and shank length. Last I bought were $11.50 per 100.

#10 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,945 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:07 AM

Guys... i wish I could step in and say Will is gonna take care of things, but I can't. Will owns the site, I just keep it running for him. So all I can say is this. Will is a great guy, He's take care of orders for sure I know that. Just give him a bit. I will email him though now after seeing this and see if I can't let him know about this.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw