Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

Really cool feathers

Here are some really cool feathers I found on ebay. I'm going to use them for eyeballs on some really big streamers for pike in fresh water and ling cod and halibut in salt.

They are 23 inches long and they were expensive but look at all those eyeballs.

Now I'd like to see some of your cool feathers and tell me what you use them for.

DSCF4112-XL.jpg

DSCF4111-XL.jpg

I don't have any "cool" feathers. I just have a Whiting Starter Pack, or some such name.

I'm ready for her, when's she coming. I have to comb my hair.

i'm not into really cool feathers.

all of mine are just standard stuff except for some condor and i cant talk about the pterodactyl marabou i plucked ages ago. the feather police may be reading this

7QN9.gif

Were you also able to pluck some pterodactyl Cul De Canard? Images are just running through my mind. Out images out.

Mark: Some sort of pheasant? Would make some nice wings.

And now we have moderators posting girly pictures? Huh.

Argus Pheasant Tertial Wing Feathers. I paid $79.00 for them and I couldn't be happier. Yep, nice wings and eyeballs.

And I like the girl too.

Were you also able to pluck some pterodactyl Cul De Canard?

i had no intention to pluck any kind of feather from that end of a pterodactyl.

that would come from pteroducktyl and they were nastier than pterodactyls. mean viscious spooky birds they were :)

Were you also able to pluck some pterodactyl Cul De Canard?

i had no intention to pluck any kind of feather from that end of a pterodactyl.

that would come from pteroducktyl and they were nastier than pterodactyls. mean viscious spooky birds they were smile.png

I wasn't around when the pterodactyls were. But I can tell you that Archaeopteryx feathers were quite stiff and tough to work with. Fortunately, the bone hooks, being much larger in diameter, didn't require extreme flexibility in hackle feathers.

Argus pheasant feathers are very popular with the classic tiers. They marry well with other feathers. I have some secondarys that are twice that size , and have made some great flies over the years. I think you will find it a challenge to accomplish what you have in mind, but from what Ive seen in your progression, youll get it done

Argus pheasant feathers are very popular with the classic tiers. They marry well with other feathers. I have some secondarys that are twice that size , and have made some great flies over the years. I think you will find it a challenge to accomplish what you have in mind, but from what Ive seen in your progression, youll get it done

I'm going to be gone for a little while on a float trip but I'd love to see a picture of your feathers.