Fly Tying
Bimini15

Swap etiquette question.

If I am tying flies that *might* end up in an upcoming swap, is it ok to post them in the corresponding monthly fly thread now?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. What corresponding monthly fly thread do you refer too? I will say there have been a few times I have tied a dozen + flies I really liked and liked tying and set them aside knowing a swap would come along eventually they fit into and used them. The Christmas thread I imagine there are a lot of people, me included, who have a huge stock of flies in various categories (some I'll never get to fish like saltwater) and will fit them into a nice box for that swap. Is this what you're referring too?

Should I post flies in the October/November flies from the vise thread that I might send (still undecided) to the Christmas swap?

Would that be considered as ruining the surprise for the swap?

Now I got it. Should be no problem as I see it. Since most of the flies of yours and others I see on the fly tied thread I just say, WOW, I'd love to have that, then if I got one in your Christmas surprise I'd just appreciate it more. I see no reason to not post them.

Nick

post away no body knows if they're getting your box anyways, unless Santa really likes it anyways.

Edit just to make sure everyone is aware this post is a joke I'm know Nick wouldn't cherry pick more than his fair share of the very cool flies, thought I'd better throw that out there before my box comes to me and it's full of coal black fuzz tied to hooks. Nick does a great job and I hate that I'm stuck debating on whether I should join or not but with two additions and a roof I need to get on my hose beefier it starts raining I'm not sure I'll have the energy to tie flys.

It wouldn't ruin the surprise, Bimini, if you don't let on that you might be posting pictures of Christmas Swap flies.

Oh wait ... that's what this post is all about !!!

Yep, I am thinking it'll ruin the surprise.

OR ... it will heighten the suspense, for someone who sees them and WANTS them ... and then has to wait to see if THOSE are the flies they get !!!

Hmmmm .... what a conundrum you have !!!

Bimini, i realize I did just what you said. I posted a set of flies in the October thread and mentioned that I may add one to my Christmas Swap box. I didn't really consider that I may be ruining the surprise for someone...

post away no body knows if they're getting your box anyways, unless Santa really likes it anyways.

Edit just to make sure everyone is aware this post is a joke I'm know Nick wouldn't cherry pick more than his fair share of the very cool flies, thought I'd better throw that out there before my box comes to me and it's full of coal black fuzz tied to hooks. Nick does a great job and I hate that I'm stuck debating on whether I should join or not but with two additions and a roof I need to get on my hose beefier it starts raining I'm not sure I'll have the energy to tie flys.

I know a leaky roof is bad but it doesn't hurt if the flies get wet. Actually, if you're like most of you have a ton of flies sitting in boxes and you can cherry pick some of your nicest, put them in a box and send those in. The swap doesn't mean you have to tie new for the swap but because of the variety coming in you should be able to dedicate a box to the swap. If not, we'll miss your flies (someone will) and get busy pounding nails now. Just wondering...are you doing this work on your house AND working a full time job?

I do it all the time.

No big deal nobody knows what they are really getting.

I’m in the Christmas swap and I’ll do it In that thread too.

We were all kids once and peeked in our presents before Christmas...Same thing

vicrider I'm kinda in between mikechell and the rest of you guys unlike mike I don't tie flys just to save money I enjoy it, but I rarely tie without a reason, they are almost always for a swap or going straight in my bag.