Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheCream

Pat Cohen's SF Fugly Packer

I have had the tool for all of 2.5 days and only tied 2 bugs with it, and I will say it is the bomb. It is so much easier to use than the little old Brassie packer I have used, and the ball point pen housing just wasn't working that great for me. I figured the Fugly was worth a shot and am not the least bit disappointed.

Fugly vs Brassie, slight size difference:

IMGP4013_zps393d90df.jpg

Bug #1 after packing, no trimmed pics of this one yet:

IMGP4010_zpsa74816bf.jpg

Bug #2:

DSC_0005_zps13e4418a.jpg

DSC_0011_zps3cd3c327.jpg

DSC_0015_zps57d579b4.jpg

I am impressed. Looks less dangerous too! I cant tell you how many times I slipped with a Brassie and ended up with hook dug into my hand.

Yep I ordered one the other day, should be here any time!

Oh yeah, those are some nice ties :lol:

OMG, got Pat's hair packer, that thing is outrageous, friggin huge! Also rec'd one of his Blue Gill Punk Rockers and it is rather lrge as well, great stuff.

Yep I ordered one the other day, should be here any time!

Oh yeah, those are some nice ties :lol:

OMG, got Pat's hair packer, that thing is outrageous, friggin huge! Also rec'd one of his Blue Gill Punk Rockers and it is rather lrge as well, great stuff.

It packs deer hair like a champ, and in the event of a home invasion, can also be used as a weapon against intruders. :)

Cream....You should tie those on stainless hooks to reduce the chance of rust. I would want those to last a loooooooooog time. Fantastic hair bugs. I really like to tie them as well but they sure take me a lot of time and they don't look near as good as yours. Those are works of art and too nice to fish.

Well my deer hair skills are by far inferior to TheCream and Pat but the Fugly packer even helped me. I spent quite awhile watching Pat tie yesterday and bought a Fugly packer. I pulled an old mouse out from last year and tied a new one today.

I still need a ton of improvement in most skills involving seer hair, but tightness is not one of them anymore. The left fly was done with the Fugly packer, I didnt complete trim it yet, just the bottom to show a comparison to the old fly. The old fly on the left was done with a dowel rod that I drilled a hole in visible in the background. The picture doesnt do it justice, there is a ton of difference in how the two flies feel.

Next I need to try some of the things that I learned from Pat regarding hair selection and technique, but i wanted an apples to apples comparison between the two packers first.

8417296811_01d61272cd_z.jpg