Fly Tying
DFoster

Hello everyone!

Greetings from central Massachusetts! I signed up yesterday. I’m a 12 year tier and fly fisher, dedicated exclusively to river trout fishing and for a few weeks in the autumn land lock salmon fishing. I’m fortunate to have wild trout nearby in the Swift River, Stillwater River and Quinapoxet Rivers.

I tie and fish traditional flies and prefer to fish English style winged wet flies, spiders and drys when the trout are cooperating. I usually fish a dead drift or swinging style without an indicator. Admittedly not be the most productive technique but it’s the style of fly fishing that I enjoy.

Tight lines!

Dean

Welcome to the site, Dean. I don't think we have many active members from your neck o' the woods. A lot from the New England area, though, so there MIGHT be some close to you.

No trout in Florida, home for me.

Thank you Mike! I do fish in Maine on occasion - Gators are not a problem in either state for us but falling into the water can be depending on the time of year.

LOL Yep. I'd rather "be watchful" for gators than to die of hypothermia every Winter. (I'd be like Kenny on "SouthPark")

Howdy from the Ozarks.

I used to fish SEMa. some but never got to your area. Spiders work, winged wets never got me much.

Agreed tjm, I struggle with winged wets more than any other style of fly. I've had some luck fishing them across/upstream, in current, just below the surface with no indicator. I do miss a lot of takes that way but on occasion a fish will really slam one. I really enjoy tying them so I have to fish them!

Welcome And there is no right no wrong asan angler its presentation that matters This said ask more how you angle with specific patterns and be surprised with answers. We all can learn a trick or two and Im not above learning.

Welcome once agin

Thanks Tom, I've been tying and fishing for a decade and I learn something new each time I practice the craft. At times fly fishing can be a most humbling endeavor, the tough days make me appreciate the great ones even more.

What a great craft and sport this is!

This is very true. As of late in NJ it has been too windy or rainy. Lots of time to tie though.

Same here Tom- I'm a few states north of you but we to catch most of the weather systems riding up the east coast. It's been just miserable enough to make me question driving any distance to trout fish in the cold wind driven rain.

Welcome from CT Dean this is a good place to spend time (other than a river)

Chris

Thanks Chris, this forum is a required sanity break from my day job. I know CT very well having lived in Bristol, not to far from ESPN. My job at the time required me to cover the entire state. Regrettably in those days I wasn't fly fisherman so I never got on the Farmington or the mountain streams off Route 7. Beautiful area!