Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

California golden trout euro rod 10' 3wt

Another fresh out of the drying cabinet this morning. This 10' 3wt euro rod took a bit of dialing in to get the colors right. Owner wanted California golden trout colors which basically are green/yellow/red. Problem was with a brighter red and brighter green it can start to drift into that Rasta/Jamaican look. So after many trial & errors I settled on a very dark nylon red that is even darker than garnet, and NCP yellow for the first trim band, and then a light metallic green for the 2nd trim band. I think this combo gives it just the right balance I was looking for to pick up the fish colors.

XGE65n.jpg
1isk15.jpg
LC4ApU.jpg

Have 7 others you may wish to compare:) ... but yet to see any of steele’s work which I did not wish to own.. Still envious of yours, MarkKnapp, but this one helps me get over it.... ;)

Received and better than advertised... Did the blank register at much heavier than 3.0 W, if you had a chance to test it?

Best FRM decision for 2020...

If any new grandkids show up we may have to revisit RASTA threadwork :)

Yeah colors on this one don't really photograph as well as it looks in person does it. ERN is 3.6 so it's a true 3wt, but just like most blanks you could get away with a 4wt line on it as well if you wanted. I'll do that a lot with rods that I plan to roll cast a lot with.

On 2/25/2020 at 12:58 PM, Steeldrifter said:

Yeah colors on this one don't really photograph as well as it looks in person does it. ERN is 3.6 so it's a true 3wt, but just like most blanks you could get away with a 4wt line on it as well if you wanted. I'll do that a lot with rods that I plan to roll cast a lot with.

Steve, I want to thank you again for your work.  Got to actually FISH with it Saturday... in the sunlight... The green and golden colors PoP, then the Red emerges from deep.  Much in the way the fish appeared when I caught my first pure strain Golden, standing at a glacial lake in the Wind River range.  Good memories...  Now I need to Catch one of the 20 inchers I saw circling the shoreline.  Tuesday, from the kayak, I hope.

Thanks again

👍👍🎣🎣😎😎

This one definitely drifted into the rasta zone, I thought that was the theme, that being said I like it.