Fly Tying

Ok, Rookie question number two. Im pretty sure i know what hackle is, and i know i need to get some, however, everytime i go to a supplier (online) i dont know where to look for it at. Is it natural, synsetic? Body, thorax, wing. Every supplier puts it or calls it something else.

Also is Hackle---- broken down into different types, ie grizzly, brown, etc etc. let me put it this way, is hackle the Heading and broken down into types and colors or is there a difference, other then color between Grizzly, Brown, tan, etc.

Thanks much

Yall are awesome

Tim at troutandfeather.com, who is a member here, has a whole series on things "materials" and tying selecting etc, hackles etc in video. Well worth a look see, you can spend some time there though LOL ! Here is one link to his video pages: http://www.troutandfeather.com/fly-tying-videos/#/fly-tying-techniques/

Hackle is a feather, found on the neck and/or saddle (back) of a bird ... we mainly use chicken hackle. Colors vary depending on the breed of chicken. Also some hackle is dyed in various colors. There is a difference between hen and rooster hackle.

At trout and feather and those videos look at hen, there is a video on hen feathers, one on partridge feathers. There is a good video on knowing the difference between a neck and cape skins. One on selecting saddle hackles. Like I said before, plan to spend some time ! If you don't know anything about these topics it might be good to have a pen and pad to write things down on.

Tim at troutandfeather.com, who is a member here, has a whole series on things "materials" and tying selecting etc, hackles etc in video. Well worth a look see, you can spend some time there though LOL ! Here is one link to his video pages: http://www.troutandfeather.com/fly-tying-videos/#/fly-tying-techniques/

k

These videos are awesome....thanks

k

These videos are awesome....thanks

Sure but Thank Tim not me lol !!

CGull, I've been tying for 6 years and hackle still confuses/frustrates me.

Rooster hackle is generally used for dry flies, but all the variations of hen hackle, not to mention Brahma, Coq De Leon cape/saddle, American, Metz, etc make my head spin. These videos sure do help, though.

Life sure was simpler when i was just crawling around on the neighbors lawn at night, flashlight in hand, coaxing nightcrawlers out of holes, lol.