Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How do you thread your bobbin?

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

Poll: Boobin threading. (427 member(s) have cast votes)

Which method do you use?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#106 Joseph 6

Joseph 6

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:00 PM

I also use the blue dental floss threader. It's my favorite go to. I've used several different wire types but mostly when threading ceramic tipped tubes.

#107 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:14 PM

I said bobbin threader but I have been known to suck it through when I just didn't feel like grabbing a threader.

For threaders I use both the wire and floss. Just depends on what mood I'm in.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#108 CasualAngler

CasualAngler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:17 PM

Feed the thread through the bottom of the tube, & keep feeding until it comes out the other side.

#109 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:27 PM

I suck.

#110 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,519 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:46 PM

insert thread and draw it up

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further - Lefty Kreh

#111 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 02:51 PM

A lot of fly tiers suck...66% of us.

I've never bought a threader, but have one made of mono and wood dowel and one of small fiddle string and dowel, but rarely use one.It's just too easy to suck.

#112 flyty1

flyty1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:48 AM

Just like the football couch used to say "suck it up boys"!

#113 jdowney

jdowney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 03:01 PM

For years I used a J. Dorin bobbin that was a bit unconventional, it had a hole on the side of the tube just a bit up from the end.  Easy to thread.

I had a bobbin threader I got somewhere, but I can't find it now.  I was going to dig it out for tying nail knots, that was a good idea back on page 3!